PTC converters switches hands

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
From Facebook

IMG_2354.jpeg

Great, can’t get ahold of them. I want to send my converter back to them for a restall. Anyone get in touch with them since they changed hands?

Call Jason at Quickdraw Convertors does a great job and quick turn around time

I have a buddy who spoke with PTC last week concerning a conv for his B-body BBM build. Said they were very friendly.

Talked to Kenny for a while end of February at Lights Out down at SGMP
Super nice guy and good racer. Was telling me he has over 100 cars he owns.

Have two converters by them, very happy with both. I did fill out the spec sheet for the last one sent it in. I got a five word email response that told me they had not read the spec sheet. “8” 5500 stalll,$950 + shipping” Went through CRT to get it and it flashes to exactly 3500 rpm. Which is what I wanted and can use. I understand you take my little tire out of the equation and an 8” stalling at 5500 might be the one, but I was VERY specific on what I was doing with it.

Have two converters by them, very happy with both. I did fill out the spec sheet for the last one sent it in. I got a five word email response that told me they had not read the spec sheet. “8” 5500 stalll,$950 + shipping” Went through CRT to get it and it flashes to exactly 3500 rpm. Which is what I wanted and can use. I understand you take my little tire out of the equation and an 8” stalling at 5500 might be the one, but I was VERY specific on what I was doing with it.
5500 stall converter that flashes exactly 3500? I assume you meant it flashes at 5300 in your application.

I had PTC spec my converter and they came up with 5800 stall. Problem is, it flashes at 5000 which isn't what we discussed. I did finally get in touch with Kenny. He found my spec sheet and told me to send it back and he would fix it.

Sorry, was interchanging terms. I don’t care about my stall number really. I wanted flash to 3500 and they speced 5500 flash because they didn’t read the sheet and pretty much everything else in my combo would like 5500 in flash. The 6” tire and my description of the class just says no! :) I’m sure I got someone unfamiliar with the class, but they have built converters tailored to it a bunch of times before. I was a bit nervous because I just wanted a 904 the same as my 727 but flash 300 more rpm. Spot on.

5500 stall converter that flashes exactly 3500? I assume you meant it flashes at 5300 in your application.

I had PTC spec my converter and they came up with 5800 stall. Problem is, it flashes at 5000 which isn't what we discussed. I did finally get in touch with Kenny. He found my spec sheet and told me to send it back and he would fix it.

What is your combo again? 5800 sounds a bit high for a traditional headed combo to me.

I love Transmission Specialties. I send them a converter and they cut it apart that day. It is inspected the next morning after being cleaned. They call me usually that afternoon and we come up with a plan. It’s usually shipped the next day. They missed my stall by 40 rpm on a combo that has never seen a dyno. I would say that’s a pretty good job. My last three have been spragless converters

I love Transmission Specialties. I send them a converter and they cut it apart that day. It is inspected the next morning after being cleaned. They call me usually that afternoon and we come up with a plan. It’s usually shipped the next day. They missed my stall by 40 rpm on a combo that has never seen a dyno. I would say that’s a pretty good job. My last three have been spragless converters
If PTC wasn't going to restall it for free, I would consider sending it to them.

LA based 408 stroker, 12.25:1, Ported 2.08 valved TF's, .660 254/268 @ .050 solid roller, 2900#

My 418 vert is only 4900. It’s very likely 300-400 low, but at this point not gonna mess with getting it out and having it bumped up.
I have always figured about 300 above max torque is about right. It’s always worked for me using that.
Not sure where max torque would be on your’s. The cam is 254@ 50 on the intake?
I would guess peak torque wouldn’t be much over 5k, just guessing lol.
Maybe it will like 5800, worth a try. Have you ran the car yet the way it currently is configured?

My 418 vert is only 4900. It’s very likely 300-400 low, but at this point not gonna mess with getting it out and having it bumped up.
I have always figured about 300 above max torque is about right. It’s always worked for me using that.
Not sure where max torque would be on your’s. The cam is 254@ 50 on the intake?
I would guess peak torque wouldn’t be much over 5k, just guessing lol.
Maybe it will like 5800, worth a try. Have you ran the car yet the way it currently is configured?
Dyno shows peak torque at 5800. Yes I have run the car in both the quarter-mile and 1/8 mile. 6.63 @ 104 with a weak 1.52 60 foot. I appreciate the comparison with your set up, however, I am dealing with a very soft launch. My car leaves like a Yugo with a misfire. I attribute it to converter as well as a 1200 RPM drop on shifts. I’ve already tried everything else and everything continues to point to the converter.

Last edited:
Dyno shows peak torque at 5800. Yes I have run the car in both the quarter-mile and 1/8 mile. 6.63 @ 104 with a weak 1.52 60 foot. I appreciate the comparison with your set up, however, I am dealing with a very soft launch. My car leaves like a Yugo with a misfire. I attribute it to converter as well as a 1200 RPM drop on shifts. I’ve already tried everything else and everything continues to point to the converter.

I am surprised peak torque is that high. Are you talking N/A?
Heck my W5 deal with a pretty stout roller(273@50) only made peak torque about 5400 or a hair more. 422 inches.

I am surprised peak torque is that high. Are you talking N/A?
Heck my W5 deal with a pretty stout roller(273@50) only made peak torque about 5400 or a hair more. 422 inches.
N/A.

Typo on my cam specs but very minor difference.... 258/264 @ .050

You appear to be down on power somewhere. Is this with trick flow heads?
Don’t take me wrong.lol not trying to dog ya, but at 2900 pounds and 104 to the 1/8 I would expect a good bit more mph, even with a soft 60 foot.

You appear to be down on power somewhere. Is this with trick flow heads?
Don’t take me wrong.lol not trying to dog ya, but at 2900 pounds and 104 to the 1/8 I would expect a good bit more mph, even with a soft 60 foot.
Yes, I am running Trick Flow heads but this is not about the power I am making. This is 100% about getting my car to leave harder than it does. Once I get the car to leave the way I want, I will see if I can get more power out of my combo but until then, I am satisfied with what it is putting out.

The car runs GREAT and pulls hard all the way through the traps however the car leaves like a Yugo with a misfire.... in other words, like ****. This is the only thing I am addressing right now. That being said, I am pretty sure the converter is not right for the car and needs to be addressed.

-
Back