Puff The Magic Dragon

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I finally put two and two together:

Up until this very day, I always thought in terms of "ceiling wax" when it came to the lyrics of the popular song "Puff, the Magic Dragon". However, this afternoon while opening a can of tuna for lunch, I began to think how well canned food is sealed so as to preserve it "fresh" for years at a time. Then, for some reason, I thought about "ceiling wax" and decided I had been wrong all along, it must have been "sealing wax", which makes so much more sense to me now.

Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee
Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff

Puff.jpeg

Just like Hendrix with Purple Haze. Sounds like "excuse me while I kiss this guy".
It's actually "excuse me while I kiss the Sky"
That'll be in your head now every time you hear that song. You're welcome

The Gulf brand canning wax in most stores is Paraffin. Maybe Puff was a candle maker.

My mother used sealing to can jams and jellies. She would pour melted wax about a half inch thick on top it would harden and the jam would keep all winter.

My mother used sealing to can jams and jellies. She would pour melted wax about a half inch thick on top it would harden and the jam would keep all winter.
My Grandmother did the same when making strawberry preserves. We kids used to fight over who got the strawberry flavored wax to chew on when we opened a jar.

-
Back