Pulley alignment issues

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
image.jpeg
I am mocking up the pulleys:
Alternator, water pump, power steering pump and crank. I seem to have about 1/8" out on the crank pulley which is attached to an aftermarket fluid damper. So the power steering is about 1/8 out as well as the water pump to crank out the same amount. Is it ok to use washers behind crank pulley to got it aligned? I have grade 8 washers available.

I bought a billet spacer from Mancini then turned it to the thickness I needed for my Innovators West Damper.

They don't have to be perfect but they need to be very close. I took a lot of time making mine right. I'm in the process now of fabbing brackets to install a small GM one wire alternator on mine. I already have three or four hours in this deal too and there is more to be done.

So after some measuring.....
Turns out that my crank pulley and water pump pulley both need to be 1/8" shim towards rad to line up with my steering pump and alternator. My steering pump is remanufactured from summit, federal type and alternator is a powermaster retro.
So is the fix to shim both the pulleys 1/8" or am I missing something here?

Another question:if I am to use the Mancini shim on the crank pulley, should I weld my pulley to the spacer? Or add another washer on the crank bolt to align the pulley in the center?

Crank and water pump line up.... OK. The thickness of the brackets is about 1/8" and if you stack them wrong this usually happens. Is it possible you can readjust the pump and alternator brackets?

So after some measuring.....
Turns out that my crank pulley and water pump pulley both need to be 1/8" shim towards rad to line up with my steering pump and alternator. My steering pump is remanufactured from summit, federal type and alternator is a powermaster retro.
So is the fix to shim both the pulleys 1/8" or am I missing something here?

1/8" sounds right. Be sure to measure from the grooves and install the belts to verify any remaining mis-alignment. No need to weld the shims, as they are captured between the parts. Do a visual double check when fully assembled and running.

My cars have never thrown belts at high rpm once the pulleys are in alignment. Don't over tighten belt or leave them loose after break in.

Brackets are correct, the balancer is aftermarket,
Yes but the water pump lines up with it..... The alternator is pretty easy to set back. I've seen other threads with this issue and most of it had to do with how the brackets stack up.

Brackets are correct, the balancer is aftermarket,

It's odd that the wp and crank pulley line up and the alternator doesn't. Google is your friend for finding shims.

Last edited:
-
Back