Pulley Bolt pattern- 340 harmonic balancer

-

MY68-GTS

Runs on Voldka
Reaction score
Got a 1968-340 and trying to order single pulleys for the harmonic balancer & water pump but i want to make sure i know what type of balancer i have.

If it still is the stock 340 balancer, it should be internal balance, i assume it is... but one of the pullies i had i thought was from a 340, didnt match up.

I know the 360 used a different bolt pattern on the lower pulley.

Is there a casting number, way to identify or measure bolt distance?

I hope there is a casting on my water pump because its a passenger side dump, so i think thats a 1970's pump that measure different at the pulley offset than a 68 pulley.

Thanks for any help

somewhere along the line mpoar changed to a lower pulley that had one odd holem just line them up, find out which one it is and drill a new hole.

yep, and pre 70 had timing marks on pass side and rad lower hose on the driver with a high mount power steering pump.

good thing is all the balancers I've seen so far have a tdc groove for each on them.FWIW

The machine shop said they left the motor at Top dead centre for me.

However the timing Groove on the balancer is sitting way over on the drivers side, opposite to the passenger side (where the marker is on the timing cover is).

If you looking at the harmonic-from the front, with the key being directly at the bottom, the timing mark is on the right.

Could this be a 70's harmonic on a 69 block?

Pre `72 had one offset bolt hole on the pulley but many aftermarket pulleys have one elongated hole so they`ll fit both the early and late models.

The 68-71 balancer has a offset bolt pattern. Part number is 2951673.
Now 72 had 2 different types of balancers. A forged balancer had a symmetrical bolt pattern. Part number 3614369. 72-73 had a cast balancer also symmetrical bolt pattern, part number 3751160.
Hope this helps

Thank you 66Silverfish, and everyone else... much appreciated

I located a 68-71 balancer with the offset pattern and ordered a new pulley set from Bouchillon performance. In case anyone else has a hard time finding a pulley for their application, this is the link.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEpulleys.asp

Using a post-72 water pump, so timing marks are on the wrong side but i can live with that, it works with my Rad. at least

-
Back