Pulley help

-

Joel Chapman

Reaction score
So I am removing non working A/C from my 71 Dodge Dart with a 360 engine and need some help. I’ve searched on here saw that with out ac my belts should be alt, crank and water pump on one belt and power steering and crank on another. Only problem with this is my water pump pulley is set up for power steering so it doesn’t go as deep as it needs to to be on the same belt as the alt. Can any one point me in the right direction on where to find the correct pulley?

Post some photos of your setup.

But I'm a little confused...
You note that alt, wp, and crank should be on one belt.
I’ve searched on here saw that with out ac my belts should be alt, crank and water pump on one belt and power steering and crank on another.

Then you say your wp pulley IS setup for ps but the doesn't go deep enough to be on the same belt as the alt

Only problem with this is my water pump pulley is set up for power steering so it doesn’t go as deep as it needs to to be on the same belt as the alt

What's the real story?

55AC68F9-6EB2-42DC-A8C6-0FC4068185AF.jpeg
5F2C733C-382D-4EF8-88CB-97EB569130D5.jpeg
Post some photos of your setup.

But I'm a little confused...
You note that alt, wp, and crank should be on one belt.

Then you say your wp pulley IS setup for ps but the doesn't go deep enough to be on the same belt as the alt

What's the real story?
What I mean is that setup is what I’ve found on here on how the belts are routed on non ac cars. My car was factory ac so my water pump/power steering/crank were on a belt. Then my alternator/crank/ac compressor where on two belts. The power steering belt is the forward most belt. The other two belts for the alternator set up are closest to the engine behind the power steering belt.

If you are removing the AC in its entirety, you'll need the entire non-AC system- crank and water pump pulleys, and alternator mounting brackets & spacers. The AC brackets locate the alternator differently than non-AC setups. I *believe* you can retain your current power steering brackets- but I may be mistaken about that. You may also want to consider replacing the alt. pulley with a single-groove unit, as I believe the diameters are different. Source the pullies as a set, no mixing and matching.
Since 360s never came in '71 Darts, source the 318/340 units. Also be aware that factory AC engines used a different water pump with a different number of impeller vanes, driven at a different speed than non-AC engines, so if cooling issues crop up that may need to be swapped out too.
Your cabin HVAC controls will only be partially functional after the swap, too.
Seriously, it may be cheaper and easier to just have your AC system diagnosed and repaired. I'm sure that in California there'll be days you'll be glad you have it...

Last edited:
My God! You have everything there. Spend a little time, effort, and money and fix it Most people that have a lot of missing components would kill for what you have!

My God! You have everything there. Spend a little time, effort, and money and fix it Most people that have a lot of missing components would kill for what you have!
Well I’m not getting rid of the parts just taking them off till I have the time/money to get the system fixed. I’m just curious tho, how bad would it be to get it switched over to 134? Also heard that systems designed for old school refrigerant don’t won’t as well with the 134.

If you are removing the AC in its entirety, you'll need the entire non-AC system- crank and water pump pulleys, and alternator mounting brackets & spacers. The AC brackets locate the alternator differently than non-AC setups. I *believe* you can retain your current power steering brackets- but I may be mistaken about that. You may also want to consider replacing the alt. pulley with a single-groove unit, as I believe the diameters are different. Source the pullies as a set, no mixing and matching.
Since 360s never came in '71 Darts, source the 318/340 units. Also be aware that factory AC engines used a different water pump with a different number of impeller vanes, driven at a different speed than non-AC engines, so if cooling issues crop up that may need to be swapped out too.
Your cabin HVAC controls will only be partially functional after the swap, too.
Seriously, it may be cheaper and easier to just have your AC system diagnosed and repaired. I'm sure that in California there'll be days you'll be glad you have it...
I mean your not wrong about Ca but also most of the cars I grew up with didn’t have working ac. So I’m just used to the windows down life now. Only time I felt I had to have the ac working was in Georgia with the humidity lol

I can pretty much say-once YOU remove it, it will never be reinstalled by you.. Why go to the hassle of finding all the brackets, pulleys to change it? You will end up losing parts and forget how it all goes back together. In the end, your car is worth more with all of the AC stuff intact, even if it's not working. Your wife or girlfriend will vote for the AC-I bet. Just leave it intact and every time you open the hood, it will be incentive to get it going. Sorry to get on you so hard. I go to car shows and I cringe every time a see a nice muscle car with all the underhood AC stuff missing.

It's his car, yall. He wants it off. @George Jets is good at this kinda stuff. Maybe he has some pictures to help you out.

So I am removing non working A/C from my 71 Dodge Dart with a 360 engine and need some help. I’ve searched on here saw that with out ac my belts should be alt, crank and water pump on one belt and power steering and crank on another. Only problem with this is my water pump pulley is set up for power steering so it doesn’t go as deep as it needs to to be on the same belt as the alt. Can any one point me in the right direction on where to find the correct pulley?

Crank pulley:

Crankshaft Pulley with Power Steering w/o AC

BPE Double-Groove Crankshaft Pulley - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

Water pump pulley:

Water Pump Pulley w/o AC

BPE Water Pump Pulley - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

Then for everything to line up properly, you will need a single pulley on the alternator...

BPE Single Groove Alternator Pulley - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

DSC01912 B.jpg

DSC01913 B.jpg

DSC01910 B.jpg

FYI , the pulley and alternator brackets when switching to non-A/C are different and you can't mix and match them . If you have power steering the first groove on the crank pulley is for power steering . The rest are for all the other stuff , lol ! After you get the correct alternator brackets for a non-A/C motor place a straightedge from the alternator to the second groove on the crank pulley. Align that with the waterpump pulley and the measurement will be the offset you need for your new waterpump pulley .

you'll have to trash all your a/c pulleys and the a/c alt bracket.. totally different for non a/c cars..

the alt bracket you need: BPE A Engine Black Finish Alternator Mounting Bracket Kit - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

crank pulley you need: BPE Double-Groove Crankshaft Pulley - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

water pump pulley you need: BPE Water Pump Pulley - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

i'm not saying you have to buy the pulleys from them, use the measurements in the descriptions to buy the proper pulleys used and save a few bucks..

I just priced new pulleys from the usual sources and BPE (see links above) had the best prices, and the pulleys that showed up were perfect.

-
Back