Pulling drums?

-

1970PAValiant

master of the break down
Reaction score
for some reason all of a sudden my breaks pull to the drivers side, I sat there adjusting the pass. side and they stil pull to the left. I'm wondering if my wheel cylinder is frozen, or if I need new springs? I'de like to see what it might be before I pull it all apart so I can buy the items while it's torn apart

Could be a frozen cylinder or a leaking cylinder. I have also seen a defective hose collapse internally and cause this. Be safe and pull both sides.

Pull the drums before you drive it again. It take 5 minutes per wheel and it's worth it not to wreck your car because of catastrophic failure related to neglect.

Take a quick look at the back of the brakes backing plate to see if any fluid is dripping out from a leaking cylinder. Front brakes or back? Your brakes should be self adjusting-it works when you back up and put on the brake firmly several times. Normal driving should be all it needs but some times the star wheel sticks. I always use anti-seize on the star wheels threads. And some times the leaver that moves the star wheel wears out and will not turn the star wheel anymore. You are going to have to take the drums off both wheels and look. Check for glazing/dust build up shoe wear etc. All cause brakes to grab and or slip.

I figured it was one of those, I don't have a garage and it is 29 with the windchill here, but I sucked it up and took off the pass side. everything looked ok, but when I pulled back the dust cap fluid leaked out everywhere ( I took off the shoes before I did this to not contaminate it). so a new wheel cylinder and hardware kit is comming tommorow (along with a brake hose just in case I ruin the one on it while trying to get it off). and what car is the tits?

I figured it was one of those, I don't have a garage and it is 29 with the windchill here, but I sucked it up and took off the pass side. everything looked ok, but when I pulled back the dust cap fluid leaked out everywhere ( I took off the shoes before I did this to not contaminate it). so a new wheel cylinder and hardware kit is comming tommorow (along with a brake hose just in case I ruin the one on it while trying to get it off). and what car is the tits?

Your Valiant is the tits. That's it in the picture, right? The 4-door?

yup, well now it's minus the stripe, I repainted it this summer "deep water blue effect" looked sweet until last Sat when someone sideswiped the rear pass. side. and thanks :)

found another problem, the pivot point on the self-adjuster was loose and it wasn't holding the self-adjust hence the pulling, DOH!

-
Back