Pulling Engine and/or Tranny

-

73Swinger18

✱ⓈⓌⒾⓃⒼⒺⓇ
Reaction score
I have a '73 Dart Swinger with a 318 and 904 tranny. I am getting ready to pull the engine to take it to the machine shop for a rebuild. Since I don't have a stand, I chose to pull the heads and intake manifold while it was still installed. I am now wondering if I can still pull the engine/tranny out together or if it will be too tail heavy now with the top end removed. Do you suggest pulling the engine and tranny together or separately? I have a load balancer to use with the engine hoist. Thank you!

With the balancer it makes it easier to pull he motor connected to the trans then without the balancer. I used one to install my 440 into my satellite and was so much easier then with just a chain like we use to.

With the balancer it makes it easier to pull he motor connected to the trans then without the balancer. I used one to install my 440 into my satellite and was so much easier then with just a chain like we use to.
Thanks! Do you think it will be a major off balance with the heads/manifolds removed?

The very nice thing with the balancer is even if it is heavier on one end you can adjust it by a simple twist of the adjuster on the balancer.

Surprised no one has brought it up yet, but pulling them both together out of the bottom of the car is probably the easiest way to go. Takes maybe an hour, lots of threads here describing the process.

Surprised no one has brought it up yet, but pulling them both together out of the bottom of the car is probably the easiest way to go. Takes maybe an hour, lots of threads here describing the process.
And it looks like this... Just substitute engine hoist for forklift..
Donor1.jpg

-
Back