Pulling slants

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
I will be pulling the slant in my 66 Dart GT and in my 65 Barracuda in the near future. I have never pulled a slant before so any tips would be appreciated!:cheers:

If pulling both together where would I bolt my chains to properly tilt and balance it?

There is two holes more less in the middle where the intake/exhaust manifold is. That is where you place the bolts to pull the engine.

It came out pretty easily for me, just make sure everything is disconnected, my wire for the park/neutral starting switch came with the tranny when I pulled it out. Nothing bad though.

if you are doing a whole swap inc k frame, here is how i did it

- get 4 good solid jack stands and mount under each corner
- use a GOOD lift or even a furniture dolly to rest under the trans and engine - maybe even bolt 2dollies together
- jack up the k frame and remove all 4 bolts
- use the cherry picker to hoist the front of the car (i actually put the rear wheels back on the ground when doing this because the car wanted to come forward a bit as i lifted the front en (not good if all 4 wheels are on stands!!))
- the you can slide the trans/eng out in 1 piece and do the same with the new engine

if i can do it on a shi&&y driveway that is way unlevel and nothing rolls easily, plus my lack of any real mechanical abilities, you can do it.

just an idea anyway.

I have just done it old school way and many times at that.I have just used the holes on the ends of the head. The front one is where the alternator bracket bolt goes. The hole in the back is in the same location. Just find a couple of bolts in the old jar and thread them in with the chain end on the bolts and tighten them up kind of snug. The engine will balance nicely right to left. You will have to adjust where the chain is lifting to get proper front to rear pitch on the motor. And yes, you can do motor and tranny at the same time. That is the only way I have ever pulled a slant. Good luck!!
Chas.

The FACTORY used the 2 holes in the head, on top between the valve cover and manifolds. the front for the engine only and the rear for the engine and trans. I have had real good luck with using those 2 holes with a chain and load leveler or just with a chain.
Also watch your trans lines at the motor mount.
Frank

Thank you all for the good info! :cheers:

I will pull them next week.

The engine and tranny are out of the 66 Dart!! :cheers:
They left yesterday to go to their new home in a 74 Valient.

Man, those things are HUGE! I have never seen one outside of a car before.

Thanks for the Tips.8)

I wish I would have found this thread before we pulled the engine and tranny from my 64 Valiant. We used a combination of chains and straps in various locations. It took some time, but we finally got them out. I'll be sure to look for the two hole when we put the engine and tranny back in.

Any tips for putting them back in...without wrecking a new paint job?

To put the slant back in the big thing to remember is to start out over to the pass side. Set that engine mount in then ease down on the hoist til the driverside lines up. Its not too bad.
Frank

It should stay pretty flat with the tranny attached. I dont thick mine tilted more than a couple of degrees. That was with the manifolds on.
Frank

-
Back