Pulsing headlights and dash lights

-

Kudabill

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Barracuda that has recently developed an annoying problem. When turning on the headlights, both the headlights and dash lights have a steady pulse to them going from brighter to dimmer. It is not something that happens only when I stop and then steadies upon acceleration, it has nothing to do with engine rpm and does not pulse faster and slower with engine speed but is at a very steady rate. Has anyone else had this problem and what is the solution? My initial thoughts are electronic voltage regulator and/or upgrading to a 60 amp alternator. Relays, but where do they wire in?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Check your grounds and all the wiring connections and clean them all. Anything that has to make contact with the firewall/sheet metal for a ground should be checked cleaned and re-tightened. Mopars are notorious for bad connections especially the grounds. If your lights are dimming at idle that would indicate a loss of voltage and is typical of an old car that has not had the wiring messed with.

The headlight relays will do wonders for the illumination levels as it takes the load out of light switch and harness and routes power from the battery straight to the lights. Easy as plug and play.

There is a member here that makes them or you can buy them on ebay. I have used 3 of these and they work flawlessly.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-Headlight-Relay-Wiring-Harness-2-Head-Lamp-Systems-Fix-Your-Dim-Lights-7-6-/151104204076?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232e832d2c"]H4 Headlight Relay Wiring Harness 2 Head Lamp Systems Fix Your Dim Lights 7" 6 | eBay[/ame]

Good luck and don't overlook any wires.

Mop

Hundreds of posts with extensive diagnostic procedures will be found in this forum.
If you wish to go that route first, have fun. I'll only say that the condition you described is most likely a failed voltage regulator and it wont break your bank or your back to throw that one part at the problem.
A couple years ago I tore into my 67 and added later model charging system, electronic ignition, headlight relays, amp gauge to volts gauge conversion, etc,, etc..
The very next day a pulse in the volts gauge identical to what you have described appeared.
Since many of the components I installed were taken from a 73 model donor car I had to bet that voltage regulator had failed. I won that bet. Not one electrical issue since but I had already been the back breaking route in doing those upgrades that I merely wanted, not needed.

X2. The VR is bolted to the firewall and picks up it's ground signal from the green wire that typically has a ring terminal on the end. The bolt that fastens the terminal and the VR tab to the firewall can get rusty and corroded behind the bolt head/VR tabs and cause all kinds of problems. Start by cleaning all the connections, sanding the metal surfaces where the connections are made, use some dielectric grease to preserve your cleaning and just looking the system over for anything else that could be problems. A new VR as mentioned by RF will not break you so if cleaning/torquing doesn't work then start there.

Electrical problems can be tricky so get a free wiring diagram at mymopar.com

There is a member here that makes them or you can buy them on ebay. I have used 3 of these and they work flawlessly.

H4 Headlight Relay Wiring Harness 2 Head Lamp Systems Fix Your Dim Lights 7" 6 | eBay

This relay kit is such a great upgrade for any A body that I would recommend it to anyone. Just got them installed in my Duster and the difference while night driving is huge. :D I didn't had to cut any wire and the instalation was completed in about an hour.

Thank you Momoparman for the link!!

Thanks to all who responded. I purchased and installed the relay wiring harness for the headlights and that did the trick. HUGE difference, in not only the headlights, but dash lights as well. Recommend for all early A-bodies.

(QUOTE)
The headlight relays will do wonders for the illumination levels as it takes the load out of light switch and harness and routes power from the battery straight to the lights. Easy as plug and play.

H4 Headlight Relay Wiring Harness 2 Head Lamp Systems Fix Your Dim Lights 7" 6 | eBay

Mop[/QUOTE]

The ebay seller listing does not show anything for my 1971 340 Duster so who on this board makes the H4 relays?

Lights pulsing or dimming at idle are only visual evidence of problems within the charging system. The amp gauge is another visual indicator. Moisture and/or nasty corrosion mess on top of the battery is another.

Vs29H1B said:
The ebay seller listing does not show anything for my 1971 340 Duster so who on this board makes the H4 relays?

Member crackedback makes and sells a custom fitted relay harness for our cars. It made a huge difference on my Demon. Definitely a recommended upgrade :thumbup:

Here's the link:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216514

-
Back