Pump Gas Non Stroked 340, 537 Hp

-
yeah pretty much, and at the same time it's the instinct of a tuner to make it work somehow.crazy how they seem to be the same person in this case.lol

Lol! I understand the tuner point of view. I recently added a 3/4" open spacer and 1/4" insulating gasket on a Wieand Action+ dual plane intake manifold topped by the existing 650 dbl pumper. The WOT gain was tremendous and can easily be felt from 2500 rpm all the way up with zero loss off idle. The open spacer is actually a square bore to spread bore adapter I flipped over as the Wieand has a spread bore mounting pad. I took a die grinder to the adapter and gasket and made everything match. The gain was far more than expected with the mild build I used it on, but after consulting with BJR, it shows that I need a bigger intake manifold like a M-1. It's a band-aid. I'm broke though and had all the parts lying around so I have an excuse, lol. At least the modification follows the intake tract funnel idea somewhat.

What's up with the 1.8 rocker?
So much for a custom ground cam by Comp Cams.

I'm thinking that he's trying to take advantage the high lift port flow of the Indy heads while restricting himself to a flat tappet cam. Really, it would make more sense to run a roller cam for the effect he's trying to achieve, but he might be restricted by the EM Challenge rules. That's my best guess. :-D I think it also shows the lengths these guys will go and why these builds aren't really the right choices to drop in a car.

EM did not allow rollers. I think that has chagned for this year. I think the biggest bonus with using the Indys was the fact that he could make a better shape by reducing the port easier than building it up. I'm also fairly certain that the Dominator adaptor was a way around the rules, but which rule in particular Im not sure. He modified it but for soem reason my PC wont let me go to the article again and try to figure out why...

EM did not allow rollers. I think that has chagned for this year. I think the biggest bonus with using the Indys was the fact that he could make a better shape by reducing the port easier than building it up. I'm also fairly certain that the Dominator adaptor was a way around the rules, but which rule in particular Im not sure. He modified it but for soem reason my PC wont let me go to the article again and try to figure out why...

I'm thinking that you meant "The biggest bonus of the Indys was that it was easier to build up rather than carve out the required port shape."?

Yeah, IIRC the spacer was made specifically to get around the "No spacer taller than 3/4" is allowed" as he recessed most of the spacer inside the manifold.

Looking closely at the piston after teardown (I didnt realize you could blow it up...) you can see a ton of oil on it.. I'm sure it was detonating... another tell tale is the bluing on the ends of the top ring (at the split...). Lots of heat there that shouldn't have been. Looking close at the intake... I'd like to think he would have done better by filling the lower portion of the intake plenum rather than using a 4hole spacer.. the air has to turn a sharp 90 to enter the port now and I'm sure is turbulent at least a little in the center. Better signal, yes, but not better performance.

I also wonder looking at the heads if he chose the CNC chamber on purpose. He's got full custom domes on the pistons... it would be much easier with a CNC chamber rather than hand fitting generic domes to hand shaped chambers. I wonder how it would be with no spacer, a turtle or plenum reducing feature, a 2.02 intake, a 1.5 intake rocker, and a piston with a 1/16 ring stack...

Looking closely at the piston after teardown (I didnt realize you could blow it up...) you can see a ton of oil on it.. I'm sure it was detonating... another tell tale is the bluing on the ends of the top ring (at the split...). Lots of heat there that shouldn't have been.

Great eye Moper! I never thought of blowing it up and checking the ring gap ends.

Looking close at the intake... I'd like to think he would have done better by filling the lower portion of the intake plenum rather than using a 4hole spacer.. the air has to turn a sharp 90 to enter the port now and I'm sure is turbulent at least a little in the center. Better signal, yes, but not better performance.

My thoughts exactly.

I also wonder looking at the heads if he chose the CNC chamber on purpose. He's got full custom domes on the pistons... it would be much easier with a CNC chamber rather than hand fitting generic domes to hand shaped chambers.

You are spot on again. I wonder if he took a cast of the chamber and sent it to the manufacturer.

I wonder how it would be with no spacer, a turtle or plenum reducing feature, a 2.02 intake, a 1.5 intake rocker, and a piston with a 1/16 ring stack...

My thought would be the turtle too but cut back the extended runner lips to smooth flow transition into the runners with a 1.6 rocker, a 1/16" ring stack as you mention as well as the smaller valve and W-2 heads.

Thats why pro engine builders have a million ideas. There's always another way to try. Lucky I'm no pro so I can just do it MY way :D...

-
Back