Pump.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
swapped out the transfer case on the Explorer today. Had a cheapo little plastic hand pump that I used to pump the fluid into it, damn near impossible to fill it otherwise. The pump broke. So what do you folks use to pump fluids out of quart/gallon jugs?

Yes pumps suck have broke a few myself.
I usually fill them before install. Squeeze bottles are the ticket.

I use the gallon hand pump. mine is probably 20 years old and I am hard on stuff. I did use a 4.99 Harbor freight transfer pump to remove the old fuel from my snowmobile and it worked pretty good with the gasoline so it ought to work for viscous fluids.

Drill powered pumps available at most hardware stores work good. Can be a little tricky to stop at precise amount. As others mentioned - put piece of clear tubing right on bottle for topping off if fill hole in a tight spot. Squirt cans with 'gooseneck' work too, better if you can find one that pumps a lot on each trigger squeeze. Light colored cable ties make nice dipsticks.

I use a hand pump for filling boat lower units. it screws right on the quart of lube and makes life easy. I have had the same one for 5 or 6 years at least.

I have an old fire extinguisher that I brazed a valve stem on it so I can pressurize it. I have a 2' piece of hose on it so I can put gear oil in it, pressurize, and pull the lever down and it pumps the fluid wherever I want it.

I have an old fire extinguisher that I brazed a valve stem on it so I can pressurize it. I have a 2' piece of hose on it so I can put gear oil in it, pressurize, and pull the lever down and it pumps the fluid wherever I want it.

That is a good idea. I guess I know what I'll be building days off as pumping gear lube gets old real fast especially in cold weather.

Sweet Idea!

it was my dad's idea... he made himself one and me one... works pretty good, my extinguisher only holds a bit over 1 qt so I have to refill it when filling up a rear end or tranny but, it is sure fast and I don't get worn out pumping forever! Hose is pretty big and it has a copper tube on the end bent into a hook so you don't have to hold the hose in the diff or tranny....

-
Back