Pumpkin install tips

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas on installing my 8 3/4 pumpkin,has any one fab up a peirce of plywood than put it under the pig and use a floor jack,I will be working on my back and soon to be 62 hope you get my drift. Thanks for your thoughts

I've shown it in at least 3 of my restoration threads. Gasket in place (your choice to use it plain or seal it) and throw the sucker into place. Put it on a sheet of plywood and shove it to the approximate location. Get under there and lift it quickly into place.

i use a harbor freight trans jack that i've had forever

i'm not sure if you have HF up there in America's hat but i'm sure you can find an equivalent. i bought that stupid thing years and years ago and admittedly it has become a super useful piece of equipment in the shop. it's a great "third hand" for gas tanks, suspension, rear ends, etc.

on install: if you're going to use sealant, put it on the gasket and then knock the gasket onto the housing. don't pinch your fingers between the pig and the housing. that's about it.

Looking for some ideas on installing my 8 3/4 pumpkin,has any one fab up a peirce of plywood than put it under the pig and use a floor jack,I will be working on my back and soon to be 62 hope you get my drift. Thanks for your thoughts
I do just that and it works pretty easily. Small piece of plywood with a 3/4" thick lip added on 1 end. It screws to the sadde of my floor jack. I use it for pumpkins and for the transmission install. Makes it very easy to handle/install these heavy critters by yourself!!

1964dodge440cleanup2023pt9 025.jpg

1964dodge440cleanup2023pt9 033.jpg

I usually just muscle um in place. Ain't as easy as it used to be, but by the time soneone else gets their floor jack and fancy attachments out and assembles, I'm makin the final torque on the nuts.

Thanks for your tips,I do like to do things myself,the last time I had what I thought was a friend help me it turned out he was an rip off artist, also my right arm has lost some strength due from a stroke some 11 years back,so the plywood and jack is a good deal.thanks again,the last time I put in a pumpkin the housing was out of the car .

i use a harbor freight trans jack that i've had forever

[/URL]

i'm not sure if you have HF up there in America's hat but i'm sure you can find an equivalent. i bought that stupid thing years and years ago and admittedly it has become a super useful piece of equipment in the shop. it's a great "third hand" for gas tanks, suspension, rear ends, etc.

on install: if you're going to use sealant, put it on the gasket and then knock the gasket onto the housing. don't pinch your fingers between the pig and the housing. that's about it.
Same here. Helps get it close for the final shove.

20211023_115925.jpg

20211023_122438.jpg

20210418_133845.jpg

You know how long it takes to roll that entire rear end outta there, with the tires still mounted, leaving the springs behind?
Answer; with an impact tool, not long; If I had a bum arm/shoulder, that's what I would do.
I put some old railway ties under the sills, just behind the CG, blocking them up as high as it takes, then dropping the front tire pressure until the rear end is high enough until the wheels have room to roll out.
I've also done it by taking the wheels off, and setting the banjo on the floor jack;
or installing a couple of bare wheels. and
I've done it by rolling it out, wheels and springs all together.
I can't imagine a method I have not used, including sliding the banjo out sideways, which works really well ........ until you go to reinstall it.

Whatever method you use; I'll drink to that!

You know how long it takes to roll that entire rear end outta there, with the tires still mounted, leaving the springs behind?
Answer; with an impact tool, not long; If I had a bum arm/shoulder, that's what I would do.
I put some old railway ties under the sills, just behind the CG, blocking them up as high as it takes, then dropping the front tire pressure until the rear end is high enough until the wheels have room to roll out.
I've also done it by taking the wheels off, and setting the banjo on the floor jack;
or installing a couple of bare wheels. and
I've done it by rolling it out, wheels and springs all together.
I can't imagine a method I have not used, including sliding the banjo out sideways, which works really well ........ until you go to reinstall it.

Whatever method you use; I'll drink to that!
Thanks I am shure I will have a few drinks after the install is done.

Big trolley jack worked for me. Jack pad under the pumpkin and yoke end resting on the middle of the jack. Added a drain plug while I was in there.
Could've used taller jack stands

Used to do it Rusty's way but with arthritis and other issues I needed to engage wuss mode.
Oh yeah and air ratchet

Big trolley jack worked for me. Jack pad under the pumpkin and yoke end resting on the middle of the jack. Added a drain plug while I was in there.
Could've used taller jack stands

Used to do it Rusty's way but with arthritis and other issues I needed to engage wuss mode.
Oh yeah and air ratchet
I feel you grief lol

I just installed one. The car is on a lift. I lifted it up and slid it in. There was a moment of panic when it didn't go on the studs and slide right in. The pig hasn't gotten any lighter since I last did one and I'm 20 years older now. One forgets.

Just did this last week. Get a friend to help by balancing the pig on a smaller pump jack. Orient the jack in the same direction of the driveshaft for back and forth movement.

I am lucky to have an old floor jack, it's a Craftsman from Sears. It has a very large deep cup on it, it works great for this, and I do it myself in and out at 73. Hernia op is on Monday, but not from doing this!

-
Back