Pup...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Leaving in a few hours to drive to Missoula MT. to pick up Azul, she is a 7 week old Redbone Coonhound. Will post some pictures when we get home. To the member that gave me some grief about not getting a shelter dog, you laid a pretty damn good guilt trip on me. I sent a $300 check to an woman on the coast that runs a dog rescue near Seattle..

Azul slept in Ernie's arms for all but maybe 10 minutes of our 230 or so mile ride...

View attachment IMG_0314 (Medium).jpg

Red, our 11 year old Redbone, is fascinated by her. He will not let her out of his sight when we are outside with her. Ernie picked up Azul when we were outside and he was freaking out looking for her. He is damn near non-stop licking her. Right now she is passed out, in her crate....and Red is sleeping in front of the crate. Ernie fell in love with her as soon as she seen Azul. Azul is not the least bit afraid of our other 2 dogs...Will get some more pictures of her shortly....

Nice looking pup. Congrats!

Shame on whoever guilt tripped you. I've had both new pups and shelter dogs. Some shelter dogs are ok, but some come with some emotional baggage from the abuse/neglect that they suffered from their previous owners. Some of them can be worked through, and some not.

My last two dogs were shelter/rescue dogs. My next two I will get from a breeder, so I can start with a clean slate and not have to try to undue any emotional baggage (which may not be able to be fixed). Plus my youngest son wants to learn how to train a new pup from scratch.

It is the pet owners choice where they want to get their animals. Other people do not have the right to judge them. If they feel so strongly about rescuing the shelter dogs, they can do that themselves. Giving to charity is something that you should decide to do yourself, not because you are pressured into by bullies.... MYOB....

Great looking pup ! I love to watch dogs interact with each other.Sometimes I think the Human race could learn a thing or two from them.

Nice looking pup. Congrats!

Shame on whoever guilt tripped you. I've had both new pups and shelter dogs. Some shelter dogs are ok, but some come with some emotional baggage from the abuse/neglect that they suffered from their previous owners. Some of them can be worked through, and some not.

My last two dogs were shelter/rescue dogs. My next two I will get from a breeder, so I can start with a clean slate and not have to try to undue any emotional baggage (which may not be able to be fixed). Plus my youngest son wants to learn how to train a new pup from scratch.

It is the pet owners choice where they want to get their animals. Other people do not have the right to judge them. If they feel so strongly about rescuing the shelter dogs, they can do that themselves. Giving to charity is something that you should decide to do yourself, not because you are pressured into by bullies.... MYOB....

I completely agree. Shame on whoever tried to guilt you into a shelter dog. Animals are a huge commitment and as much as I hate to say it, shelter dogs are a crap shoot. Not saying good dogs can't come out of the shelter, but the potential owner has no reason to feel guilty for passing one up.

Grats on the new Pup Ink! Enjoy it!

Congrats on the newest part of the family Doug.
I'm sure Ernie n you will enjoy.

She is not real thrilled with the crate...she woke us up at 2:20, but she had to "take care of business". Just had her out at 4:40, she had to pee again. She is now raising hell in the crate, she sounds like a rooster...

She is not real thrilled with the crate...she woke us up at 2:20, but she had to "take care of business". Just had her out at 4:40, she had to pee again. She is now raising hell in the crate, she sounds like a rooster...

Oh, the trials and tribulations of breaking in a new pup! But it's all worth it in the end.

Enjoy your new pup...

I love those dogs would love to have one. Hard to find in PA. Good luck I am sure it is a great home.

I love those dogs would love to have one. Hard to find in PA. Good luck I am sure it is a great home.

I know of a breeder in West Virgina, I will ask him about giving out his contact info...he recently had a small litter but had mentioned another one of his females was going into heat..

That is a great looking pup, I've never heard of that breed, he looks really cool. Once we picked up a Great Dane from a rescue. Second day had him tied up in the side yard, I was in the garage, door open and a neighbor kid came up to him and the dog had the kids whole head in his mouth before I could get there. Was afraid for the kid, took him home with a dent in his head, explained to his parents what happened, then was afraid about losing my house/being sued. I contacted the rescue, asked if there was any known history, they requested the animal be returned to be put down. Yeah, that worked out great. You could say the whole situation was my fault...Your pet, your choice.

Your pet, your choice.
This is how I feel....but I also see the "other side" of the fence. The first Coonhound I had, a Black & Tan named Fred

View attachment MADDOG (2).JPG

he was a truly unique pet. Had no idea what he was until the vet told us. He was a "rescue" pup. Unfortunately we had to hm to sleep when he was only 8 or so. He had a fatty tumor that ended up pressing on his abdominal cavity, somehow causing him his insides to fill with fluids..

This is how I feel....but I also see the "other side" of the fence. The first Coonhound I had, a Black & Tan named Fred

View attachment 1714725424

he was a truly unique pet. Had no idea what he was until the vet told us. He was a "rescue" pup. Unfortunately we had to hm to sleep when he was only 8 or so. He had a fatty tumor that ended up pressing on his abdominal cavity, somehow causing him his insides to fill with fluids..

Ink,
That's a tough one, they definitely become a part of the family. We've got dogs from rescues, pound etc. Our current (wife's really) is a Pug, drove all the way to Springfield Oregon (about 9-10 hours) for the dog, she developed scoliosis, but is still with us after 10 years. I showed the wife the pic of your pup, she agreed, he's awesome!

Ink,
That's a tough one, they definitely become a part of the family. We've got dogs from rescues, pound etc. Our current (wife's really) is a Pug, drove all the way to Springfield Oregon (about 9-10 hours) for the dog, she developed scoliosis, but is still with us after 10 years. I showed the wife the pic of your pup, she agreed, he's awesome!

A pup with scoliosis...how does it effect her? We are on a waiting list with a couple of folks in Grants Pass for a Bluetick Coonhound.

View attachment blue tick pup.jpg

They have told us that they are not going to breed her until the right male is found. Pretty much every Coonhound breeder we have spoken with are not in it for the money, it is about bettering (is that even a word?) the breed. Several that I spoke with would not sell me a hound unless I was either going to hunt or show the pup. Redbones make great pets, they are very loyal to there owners.

View attachment IMG_0381 (Medium).jpg

Have not heard back form the Redbone breeder in WV yet. I used this forum

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php?s=

to find the breeder we got Azul from. One of the breeders I have spoken with has mentioned that I should also check out this forum

http://biggamehoundsmen.com/

When I hear back from the breeder in WV I will let you know what he says....

Thanks, appreciate it, I think I just found a lead from my neighbor who heavily volunteers with the PA fish and game. Incredible guy was in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. E-9 USMC, looks 60 but has to be in his mid 80's. He lied about his age and went in at 16.

Azul is one hell of a great pup. She will wake up in her box, and cry a bit. Open the front door and open her crate and out she goes. Takes care of business, plays a bit and then comes back in. After she eats she will play for a while, then want to climb into Ernie's lap. Few minutes later she is out. Back into the crate for the remainder of her nap.

-
Back