Pure stock drag racing

-
I think that pure stock drag racing separates the real tunners from the one's who tune with a laptop. I think that it's the best form of racing as you have to get the most out of what the factory has provided. I'm trying to find the company in California that builds and tunes the TQ carburetors for just pure stock drag racing.

I have news for you @Dan the man some of the absolute best tuners in the world tune with a laptop. Just because a guy uses a laptop with electronics doing the leg work, doesn’t mean he isn’t as good or as knowledgeable as a guy that does it with a screwdriver and jets. Just sayin.

I have news for you @Dan the man some of the absolute best tuners in the world tune with a laptop. Just because a guy uses a laptop with electronics doing the leg work, doesn’t mean he isn’t as good or as knowledgeable as a guy that does it with a screwdriver and jets. Just sayin.
Most of the laptop tuners are new school, which is great. But you take away their laptop and ask them to tune a pure stock drag racing car and they would probably be lost. The "true " tuners are pretty much the thing of the past.

You could say the same thing about a guy that “only” knows carburetors. He’d be lost with a laptop in his hands. It doesn’t mean one is better than the other. They both have to have a good understanding of what an engine wants/needs and how to give the engine whatever that is.

This is wholly untrue.
Ya I'm still here. But only by the grace of god. But I still can not figure out how a New School tuner can tune a car with only one O2 sensor. I know it's in the software but unless everone (intake manifolds, headers, fuel injector resistance & flow and each cylinder psi ect.) got it right and 100% how do you do it? ps even the factory uses 2 and race cars use 8.

Ya I'm still here. But only by the grace of god. But I still can not figure out how a New School tuner can tune a car with only one O2 sensor. I know it's in the software but unless everone (intake manifolds, headers, fuel injector resistance & flow and each cylinder psi ect.) got it right and 100% how do you do it? ps even the factory uses 2 and race cars use 8.
Even engines tuned with a computer have spark plugs. Read the plugs.

Definitely. But how's the tuner on the phone gonna do that? Even if he's knowledgeable what about idle, cruise, with a slight load, full load, 100% humidity and 1/4 mile runs. When the factory engineering teams put there stuff together they can use any instrumentation they want or need. I did factory engineering instrumentation for years 8 egt's and 8 O2's went on a lot of the tuning guys stuff and on the dyno's that they spent years and years on. I don't mean to talk bad about tuners but there is no way in the hot place you will ever get me to believe tuning the complete parameters on a motor can be done from scratch with one O2. I guess the guys that race with the racepaks have been all wrong. When you are just cruising or racing and 1 cylinder is going rich you just lean out all the 7 others. Got a friend, ya 1, just hydra locked his motor at about 140 at the track and yes using a 1 O2 sensor system. 50G motor. I sure hope he takes my advice and get a racepak.

I've never seen a modern computer tuner read the spark plugs, that's why they tune with a computer so they don't have to get dirty.
Any tuner, computer or otherwise, that doesn’t read plugs is NOT a tuner.

Last edited:
You could say the same thing about a guy that “only” knows carburetors. He’d be lost with a laptop in his hands. It doesn’t mean one is better than the other. They both have to have a good understanding of what an engine wants/needs and how to give the engine whatever that is.
That's not true either. I'm pretty good tuning a carburetor from an 02 using a laptop. ....and I don't like EFI. lol

-
Back