Purple Power & Evapo-Rust - product review.

-

Alaskan_TA

Reaction score
Here is the 489 8 3/4" case from my 1970 Fury as removed;

1970 Fury 489 case as removed.JPG

Here it is again after soaking in Purple Power for 24 hours, the painted areas survived;

1970 Fury 489 case as removed 2.JPG

Here it is again after the bottom was soaked in Evapo-Rust for 24 hours & then rotated for the photo, note the rust-free line & paint daubs still intact;

1970 Fury 489 case as removed 3.JPG

Good product review. I pulled an 8 3/4 from a fury not too long ago. I tried brake cleaner to clean the housing. Didn't get that far. Then purple power. Didn't do much either. I took it down to the local machine shop and had it hot tanked. That worked a lot better. Only costs me $20 and the gas to bring it down there.

That looks nice, but that's definitely not the experience I had with evaporust. After soaking my parts in it everything turned black and looked bad, I called evaporust and they told me that was because the parts had a high carbon content and that it would clean off with a wire brush. It was more work to clean off the black than it was to clean off the light rust that was on the parts, What a waste of time and money. I will never use that stuff again or will I recommend it to anyone.

i have used evaporust a lot and the results are usually good.For large items i have mixed it 4:1 with water to get enough to completely submerge the part.
I diid a complete engine block once...wish i taken some before and after pics as it turned out great,but took a few days with the diluted solution.
...the nice thing is it can be used over and over.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:Evaporust!

Still have about 3.8 gallons from 5 on a complete resto on my 69 FB! Some parts need long soaks and some just a little, gotta check them often. Preserving factory paint marks is a plus for some of us!

Be careful with purple power, I've seen some pitting on roller bearings after long soaks.

Yeah but you can use it more than once. You could actually make money here in the rust belt. Bet it would eat a Ford down to nuthin tho.

Evapo-rust is pricey but can be used for while. Forget what I paid for a 5 gallon bucket from Northern, but it was worth every penny paid. I did pour it back in the bucket through a old tee-shirt to sift the junk removed from the parts soaked every time I used it. It is enviormently save, so they say as well. So the extra was just poured out in the woods. Like I said I still have 3.5 gallons left from 5 and a lot parts went through it.

I used it to soak some bolts and ended up with a cool black coating on them. Looks like a flat black anodize.

That stuff work good? Haven't used it. I've used krud kutter in the past. It works ok but isn't as safe as evapo rust I'm sure.

I used it to soak some bolts and ended up with a cool black coating on them. Looks like a flat black anodize.

Then you let them soak to long, unless that was the desired outcome!

What I was looking for. Let them soak about 3 days.

I use it for parts that fit in a 3 gallon bucket. For larger parts I put them in a 55 gallon drum with a 10:1 mixture of Water and Molasses.
Removes rust and won't harm the metal. Takes longer but cheep compared to evaporust. Got my molasses from the Co-Op feed store.
A couple dash frames after a week in the soup. They don't fit all at once so I rotate and cover with a large plastic bag. Didn't get it all but a really good start. Pretty sure you can tell which end was submerged in the Molasses/Water mix. Thought about looking for a used bathtub or farm trough on CL but these were the biggest things I soaked. 10:1 with water you can fill a 55 gallon drum for less than the cost of a 3 gal bucket of evaporust. Just don't be in a hurry. Look it up on YouTube. Some people do entire fenders or even car bodies.
_8inJgxZ3dQhyoQK7Q5qO839UdtRdwHQzw4WPZHUyn2cMgkNTsq1Ea5SWTV3TIO_fwi2LBqbDwLuX347Xw=w1369-h770-no.jpg

-
Back