push button trans. leaks by cable

-

superslant

Reaction score
Hey there everybody. I have a 63 dart gt slant six with the (jukebox) push button trans still in it. I am having trouble with all the tranny fluid running out right where the cable goes in. I am unfamiliar with how this assembly comes off.
There was a retainer bolt on the outside. I removed that and pulled a little bit on the cable and there was a cylinder with grooves in it that goes into the trans housing. I know I need to remove the pan and then maybe it will be obvious how this all comes apart but just to prepare myself I decided to post this thread. I believe I am missing the o ring or gasket that goes where I am leaking because it looks to me metal on metal. Thanks for any info on this problem. Tips n tricks. Anything.

You are on the right track, o-rings and removing the pan. Just mark or tape your cable adjuster or it can be a pain to get readjusted.

The stock O-ring in a crappy buna type. That's your only seal. poor design. After replacing an o-ring TWICE and going through the shift/adjust drill (still never had it spot-on).....I went to the HELP section of the local autozone. I bought a kit of ureathane (possibly metric) o-rings. They had a 50% thicker wall. Maybe they were AC o-rings?
I don't remember exactly.

Anyway...use a thicker O-ring, and it will seal tighter with the housing. the problem is after 40+ years, the steel (threaded) part slightly eggs out the alum. bore in the trans housing. A skimpy OEM O-ring doens't do the job.

Did you clean the area near the adjuster wheel??Is it leaking from behind the wheel or where the cable end goes-inta metal?If the shifter cable casing is cracked or burnt,it will leak.:coffee2:

Couldnt see any damage. All looked ok. Just no o ring at all in there. I will try putting an o ring in there and hopefully it works. Right now it just dumps out of there. Does the cable come out pretty easily once you take the pan off? Also where can I get a new trans. pan gasket for this transmission? Does it have a number like 833, 904, 727?

Looks like it is an a-904. Any torqueflite 904 gasket should work then I would think.

-
Back