push button trans won't go into reverse.

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
This is a 63 Valiant: my daughter called from a rest stop about 80 miles away. She pushed it out and is on her way now. All the other gears work but the button for reverse just pushes in without engaging the tranny. I haven't a clue where to start. Thanks in advance for any advise.

More often than not the button has fallen off the push button assembly. simply remove the cover from the dash and reinsert the button into the two prong fork that holds it in place. Squeezing the fork back together will prevent a recurrence. However squeezing the two prongs back together is tricky and often results in a broken fork requiring replacement/repair of the shifter assembly. The trick is to not squeeze the tips of the fork together but apply the squeeze pressure as far back on the fork as possible. Your not trying to close the gap by 1/8", your trying to close the gap by thousand'nths of an inch.

I should add that the most common reason for this is drivers will use the park lever to select neutral from either "R" or a "D" position. Always select, or depress the neutral button specifically and then apply the park lever. Always, Always, Always.

Thanks VP. I will check this out carefully. I didn't know that the way to park is best through neutral, not sure if I (or she) do that.

#1 did this work before?
#2 have you lubed any part of the cable ,shifter mechanism?
#3 have you properly adjusted the cable?

I would start by inspecting & seeing if anything is broken or missing ,etc.., if not lube the cable & the mechanism & then adjust it correctly by Fsm procedure.

then if it doesn't work start diagnosing.

Lawrence

-
Back