Push in shift handle to bolt in

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I got a new bolt in shifter mechanism from Brewers but my shifter handle is the push in style. Can I drill out the shifter handle to match?

If so, should I just put the shifter handle in the slot and mark it?

16518660805675499826296995051675.jpg

16518661082994398527370092502729.jpg

If I set the shifter in the slot, it doesn't sit in the indents if the shifter. Not sure this matters.

16518661455949065296474383248924.jpg

I had poor luck with that. WAY back in the early 70's "I thought" I was going to improve shifting in my 70 440-6 RR (pistol grip) and bought a new over the counter Hurst comp plus. I did not like the handle which is one of the "reverse S" shaped ones like out an earlier B body. So I adapted the pistol grip. I ended up welding it in as I recall. The aftermarket bolt in ones (at least mine) had big splines I think, to "align" the handle hard into the body. Without that, the push in would "work" in the bolt holes and loosen some.

On a side story, the comp plus was actually WORSE!! for slop, play, and feel. The shift arms did not fit the shift shafts as tightly as OEM, and I actually used to cut small slices of feller gauge to slip in between and try and tighten them up. Those shift arms do not have to move much to introduce play

70RR.jpg

I had poor luck with that. WAY back in the early 70's "I thought" I was going to improve shifting in my 70 440-6 RR (pistol grip) and bought a new over the counter Hurst comp plus. I did not like the handle which is one of the "reverse S" shaped ones like out an earlier B body. So I adapted the pistol grip. I ended up welding it in as I recall. The aftermarket bolt in ones (at least mine) had big splines I think, to "align" the handle hard into the body. Without that, the push in would "work" in the bolt holes and loosen some.

On a side story, the comp plus was actually WORSE!! for slop, play, and feel. The shift arms did not fit the shift shafts as tightly as OEM, and I actually used to cut small slices of feller gauge to slip in between and try and tighten them up. Those shift arms do not have to move much to introduce play

View attachment 1715923417

The kit from Brewers was really nice. It came with aluminum shift lever bushings and thin washers for the clips. It's all nice and tight now.

Maybe I should just upgrade to a pistol grip. Which one works with A body and buckets?

You may want to have a bead of weld added front and rear of the shifter handle and grind it to the same width. I did drill one to fit already and after time it started to move front and back. Didn't affect the shift but it did move.

-
Back