Push Rods which one?

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I have a 440 with a solid cam and crane adjustable rockers. Which push rods do I need?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I have a 440 with a solid cam and crane adjustable rockers. Which push rods do I need?

your going to have to get a pushrod length checker. every engine is different. you need to set up the #1 valvetrain with the the checker at zero lash and 2 threads showing on the bottom of the rocker arm lash adjuster. then lock down the checker rod and then pull it out and measure. This is critical to proper valve train geometry. if the push rod is too short and the adjuster is hanging way out then it throws the geometry way off and will most often snap the adjuster ball off.

this was mine with a too short push rod. notice how the angle looks goofy.

SSPX0239.jpg

this is with the new correct push rods.

download.jpg

Do as Youggun 2.0 says then call a company like Manton or Smith Bros. and have them make you up a set. I have Smith Bros. in my roller cammed 470"

Ok in the first photo this is my Piston to valve clearance. Left is intake right is exhaust. Look ok?

Also the next few are of the push rods in. everything checked with the lifters off the center line and 0 lash. Look ok?

Attachments

• clearance.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 197
  • pushrods.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 181
  • pushrods2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 201
  • pushrods3.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 173
Ok in the first photo this is my Piston to valve clearance. Left is intake right is exhaust. Look ok?

Also the next few are of the push rods in. everything checked with the lifters off the center line and 0 lash. Look ok?

Looks like you have too much piston to valve clearance. To fix this install a bigger camshaft!! :D

Little update here... I went out today to assemble every variable I could had. Installed and torqued down the heads with gasket. Installed rockers and torqued the hold downs. After lash has been set im sitting right at 3 threads showing... So i called up smith bros. talked to a fella named greg... He said 2 is the norm but since i wasnt big on open pressure like in the 700 range i would be just fine at 3. Ironically after i talked to my machinist earlier today and he echoed what Greg had said. Thoughts?

Little update here... I went out today to assemble every variable I could had. Installed and torqued down the heads with gasket. Installed rockers and torqued the hold downs. After lash has been set im sitting right at 3 threads showing... So i called up smith bros. talked to a fella named greg... He said 2 is the norm but since i wasnt big on open pressure like in the 700 range i would be just fine at 3. Ironically after i talked to my machinist earlier today and he echoed what Greg had said. Thoughts?

i would run longer push rods. i have seen the balls snap off the adjusters. i forget what 1 thread is. I think it is .045" I was in the same exact situation with mine. i had over $100 into the pushrods and they ended up being just a little bit short. It cost me another $125 for the new push rods but i am glad i did it. I will never have to worry about it. Is a $100 part worth it if the adjuster breaks and gets into the engine and hurts something? Three people have said they are too short now. I would listen to them and not just keep asking till you get the answer you want to hear.

i would run longer push rods. i have seen the balls snap off the adjusters. i forget what 1 thread is. I think it is .045" I was in the same exact situation with mine. i had over $100 into the pushrods and they ended up being just a little bit short. It cost me another $125 for the new push rods but i am glad i did it. I will never have to worry about it. Is a $100 part worth it if the adjuster breaks and gets into the engine and hurts something? Three people have said they are too short now. I would listen to them and not just keep asking till you get the answer you want to hear.

I think you missed part of this. I called Smith Bro. today to talk to them about ordering a set. After telling the guy what I had. He mentioned that what i HAVE will be just fine. You guys pointed me to the experts and that is what they told me. So what your saying is I should discount what they experts have said?

I think what he is trying to tell you is Smith Bros is giving you a general answer. Those adjusters you have are known to break if too many threads are sticking out. I would run them but in the back of my mind at 6-7K the thought of it coming apart would always be there. If one of them do it could cost you a lot more than ordering a new set of push rods right now......

It is like putting a good size cam in with stock rockers. YES it can be done but there is a weak link in the chain.

I think you missed part of this. I called Smith Bro. today to talk to them about ordering a set. After telling the guy what I had. He mentioned that what i HAVE will be just fine. You guys pointed me to the experts and that is what they told me. So what your saying is I should discount what they experts have said?

they said it would work. not that it was ideal. there is a difference. not trying to be a jerk. just telling it like it is. I have personally seen an engine that was very expensive and built by a very reputable shop get destroyed because the adjuster balls broke on 2 rocker arms and the parts went down in the engine and hurt the bottom end. your push rods may run forever with out a problem. they may break on your first pull to 6k. is it worth the $100 to take the chance? it wasnt for me.

Thing is I went called. Told him what I had and told him i needed longer. Told him which comp cams ones I had. He asked how I had checked them I told him. After giving him the info he wanted he said what i had would be fine. I never even asked if what I had were ok. I told him I wanted longer. If he really thought there was a problem I think he would have told me beings I had the check book open when I called.

Thing is I went called. Told him what I had and told him i needed longer. Told him which comp cams ones I had. He asked how I had checked them I told him. After giving him the info he wanted he said what i had would be fine. If he really thought there was a problem I think he would have told me beings I had the check book open when I called.

understood. like i said. not bashing you here at all. just telling you what i have seen/heard and what i have done in my own engine build. I wish you and your engine all the best. Maybe send him the pics you posted here and see what he thinks?

That sure is a nice looking motor. Be a shame to see it turn into a boat anchor. I thin I would go with experienced eyes and not a guy on the phone. You didn't happen to mention you bought the pushrods for them did you? .045 - .015 steel head gasket = .030 If 1 thread is .045 @.030 you will almost lose a thread. You got plent of room with those deep valve pockets.

-
Back