Pushbutton autos

-

Dartnewbie

Former Dart owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know if all the cable shift 904s had the trunnion flange? The reason I ask is a friend says he has a 318 with a pushbutton auto on it and I don't know if I would have to change my driveshaft or not. Anyone also know if the 225 and the 318 would have used different length driveshafts if both were hooked to a 904?

if its a 318 its a poly motor,,and if it is in a big body car it could be a push button 727,not a 904 nothing wrong with the 727 just get all the stuff from the donor car as extras,, yes all smal block push button trannys had the rear 4 bolt flange on the back of the trans,, the only cable shifted no flange tranny would be for a big block on a 727 and only in 1965 super rare highly sought after trans

Years ago I had a 64 Belvedere with a 1970 318 and the original ball and trunnion small block trans the car came with. When I swapped out the motor and trans, I got hooked up with a big block trans from a 64 Newport, also trunnion tailpiece. I took it to my trans guy and he told me to find a 65 car with the slip joint tailshaft and he could put it on the trans I had. I knew there was a 65 4 door Satellite in a junkyard by my house, so I went there and lo and behold, it was a 273 car with the slipjoint rear tailshafted small block trans still in there. I bought just the trans and took it to by trans guy and he did just what he said he could do, put the smallblock tailshaft on the bigblock trans thereby building me a big block pushbutton trans with the slipjoint rear. So, when you say that all smallblock transmissions from 65 were still trunnion, I have to disagree. I personally took the trans out of the Satellite with it laying up on its side and know for a fact it was a 273 car as the yard owner is a friend of mine and tried to make me pull both of them and buy them both. Whether it was a 727 or a 904, I'm not sure, but I know it was a smallblock slipjoint cable operated trans from 65!!! Good luck and hope this helps, Geof

So just a quick question. If I measure the bell housing on the 318 and it is the same depth as the slant 6, can I assume the tranny would not have to move and I can use my existing driveshaft? If the 318 bell housing were deeper, wouldn't that just mean the engine sits a little farther forward than the slant 6 would?

the easiest way is to do the u joint to u joint measurement with everything in place...its real easy...

so with everything un place, take just your slip yoke and slide it on, push it all the way on, and then back it off an inch, then measure from center of u joint to center of u joint(with vehicle weight on ground)and if you need a driveshaft made just let them know thats how you measured it, or if they want you to measure it their way, it will be something very similar.

-
Back