pushbutton vs later wire harnesses

-

64longroof

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there that much difference between an auto trans pushbutton wiring harness vs
a 65-66 ? For that matter would there be much rewiring to take a manual trans wiring harness and use it for an automatic, (pushbutton or the 65 66?). Thanks

See link below for one I have for sale and maybe it will give you a better idea if its possible. to transfer wiring from 64 to 65-66.
Don't know if you can rewire a manual harness.
Below is a link to an auto trans. push button wiring & assembly with cable removed from a 64 Barracuda.
[FOR SALE] - 1964 Barracuda Valiant Under Dash Wiring Harness & Trans Push Button Assembly & Trans. Cable.
I also have the push button bezel, instrument cluster and engine wiring harness removed from a 64 Barracuda too.

I would guess the biggest difference is the reverse lamp switch. The neutral switch is a single post switch on the trans, and you would have to ground the starter relay if going auto to stick. In the opposite scene, just use an auto start relay and run one wire from the relay, down the firewall, to the trans switch

The reverse lamp switch would be on the shifter somewhere, and a stick is on the trans, so you 'd have to deal with that.

Wander over to MyMopar and download the closest you can find for a service manual. You might have to settle for Plymouth vs Dodge. There are changes through those years, so you'll have to be on your toes, but these are simple cars

-
Back