pushrod length

-

BarryC

'74 Duster 360
Reaction score
What length pushrod would normally be needed in a LA360 with 273 adjustable rocker arms? Thought about putting these rockers on mine since I have them lying around. I have a valve tapping sound. I placed a straight edge across the tips of the valve stems and all of them are not the same height. Figuring adjustable rockers would solve this problem, but I'm not sure what length pushrod I need. The heads have not been cut, but it does have FelPro 8553 gaskets. I also have the 273 pushrods that came with the rockers, but I'm pretty confident they are not the length I need. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

Hyd. or solid lifters? Comp cams says 7.234 for Hyd. and 7.342 for solids. But.... To make certain you really should use a length checking pushrod to find out exactly what you need.

I agree with the checker, but keep in mind that all the valves should be the same height!

If its a from the factory head we all know that quality control can be a little lacking, but several things could be going on with the valves. Did this tapping start recently? You may have a valve not seating properly, a sinking valve seat (unleaded fuel), or even a "stretching" valve stem. If its a new rebuild it could just be that they weren't set at the same height, although that wouldn't be the best work from the machine shop. Just thought I'd mention this since the adjustable rockers may solve the tapping noise, but they may also not fix the actual cause of the problem.

I'd do a compression check while I was at it to see if anything comes up low...

If a cam lobe is starting to wipe that could also cause a valve tap. I hope that is not the case.

-
Back