Pushrod measurement opinion

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am going to ball to ball oil thru pushrods because I wasnt comfortable with the amount of oil getting to the pushrods via the shafts . And since this is a 7500+ rpm capable engine I would feel better with oil coming from both ends.

How does the adjuster position look to you ? This it at zero lash so it will be backed off another .020 once adjusted to run.
CFBF6A0C-FB2C-4185-A2DB-B4735D6C5E5F.jpeg

I am going to ball to ball oil thru pushrods because I wasnt comfortable with the amount of oil getting to the pushrods via the shafts . And since this is a 7500+ rpm capable engine I would feel better with oil coming from both ends.

How does the adjuster position look to you ? This it at zero lash so it will be backed off another .020 once adjusted to run.
View attachment 1715642308
Fine, but does it look like above the adjuster?

Don't forget that I have it at zero lash right now so the adjuster will be back out .020-.022

Cup adjusters . I only have one installed to check PR length.

We like to see a couple few threads above and below, geometry aside.
Short adjusters, make'em even top n bottom. Harland sharp are short. I run them with comp mag shaft rockers. I also add in the lash, short .005 into the length.

Last edited:
I was aiming to get full thread engagement of the locknut but not too many threads showing below the rocker .

You want to keep the adjuster up in the rocker, but too far up and it won’t oil and too far down and it won’t oil either.

Are you referring to the position of the oiling hole in the adjuster ? I did not see a oil feed in the threads of the rocker when I looked . Not that it matters since the shaft will oil the bearings and the pushrod will feed the ball/cup . But I did expect to find a feed in there .

Are you referring to the position of the oiling hole in the adjuster ? I did not see a oil feed in the threads of the rocker when I looked . Not that it matters since the shaft will oil the bearings and the pushrod will feed the ball/cup . But I did expect to find a feed in there .

Ok, you have solid adjusters because you are pushrod oiling. Got it. The further up in the rocker you can keep the adjuster the better off you are.

Since you don’t oil through the adjuster I’d go 1 turn down with whatever feeler gauge you need for lash and set your pushrod length to that.

You want to keep the adjuster up in the rocker, but too far up and it won’t oil and too far down and it won’t oil either.
Looking at various aftermarket rockers that oil/utilize ball adjusters they all have the oiling hole drilled in varying locations from the underside flat and when using a ball adjuster with a cup pushrod I’m thinking the adjuster initial setting should be set accordingly to line up at a point on the adjuster or based on where the top edge of the cup on the pushrod is vs just a set number of threads or a certain depth, don’t you think?

Looking at various aftermarket rockers that oil/utilize ball adjusters they all have the oiling hole drilled in varying locations from the underside flat and when using a ball adjuster with a cup pushrod I’m thinking the adjuster initial setting should be set accordingly to line up at a point on the adjuster or based on where the top edge of the cup on the pushrod is vs just a set number of threads or a certain depth, don’t you think?

It depends on the rocker. Crane, after a serious bowl smoking party decided that since so many guys ran the pushrods too short they would lower the oil hole in the rocker. Bad idea. Because now the adjuster is so far out of the rocker you lose a bit of ratio.

In the grand scheme of things, the narrow, this area of the adjuster should line up with (or be very close to lined up) with the oil hole in the rocker. That’s how Chrysler designed them.

The oil is supposed to squirt oil out to the adjuster, hit that narrow part and run down into the cup. Get the pushrods too long and the oil hits the side of the pushrod and too short the oil hits the threads and takes too long to get to the cup.

-
Back