Pushrods and Rockers for Hydraulic Cam and Lifters

-

bob_o

Reaction score
Hey guys. I ordered this Cam/Lifter Kit from Summit: COMP Cams K64-247-4 COMP Cams High Energy Cam and Lifter Kits | Summit Racing. While the Slant out of my '66 Valiant originally had a solid cam and lifters, I believe later Slants came equipped with a Hydraulic setup? When I ordered it, I messed up by only searching for Slant parts and did not specify the year. My question is, what pushrods and rockers do I need to use with this Comp kit? Thanks in advance.

You can still use the same parts, you just have to set the preload correctly.

You have to use the 1981 up rockers, pushrods, and rocker shaft
Edit; you might have to get custom length pushrods, depending on whether the head, or deck has been cut. Also the cam base circle. Have to measure to get the proper preload.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I ordered this Cam/Lifter Kit from Summit: COMP Cams K64-247-4 COMP Cams High Energy Cam and Lifter Kits | Summit Racing. While the Slant out of my '66 Valiant originally had a solid cam and lifters, I believe later Slants came equipped with a Hydraulic setup? When I ordered it, I messed up by only searching for Slant parts and did not specify the year. My question is, what pushrods and rockers do I need to use with this Comp kit? Thanks in advance.

I have the correct rockers, shaft and pushrods you need. Send a PM if you're interested. -Rob

What is the difference other than the lifter being longer

The slant 6 does not have an oil galley that feeds the lifters. It was not designed as a hydraulic lifter engine. Ever. So what they had to do was make an entirely different rocker shaft, rockers and hollow pushrods. The slant six oils the lifters through the top, "backwards" of standard hydraulic lifter engines, so they have to have hollow pushrods so the lifters can get oil, since they are not oil fed from the block. Solid lifter pushrods are not hollow and the rockers and shafts are completely different. While it'll all bolt on, it will not work, because the lifters will not get oil. He has to have the hydraulic specific parts.

Learn something new every day.

This is why I've always theorized the hydraulic lifter slant sixes never ran "great" compared to their solid lifter brethren. They weren't "junk" mind you, they just never seemed to run quite as good. But then, by the time they had hydraulic lifters, they also had three tons of emissions equipment on them too, so I'm sure that had an effect as well.

-
Back