pushrod's to long now? wtf!

-

Hipo65

Yeah I'm "That Guy"
Reaction score
Ok guys im a little upset today, i was installing my isky E-4 cam in my 273 with a set of comp cams direct lube mech lifters & when bolting on the rockers with the o.e. pushrods & rocker arms i went to set the lash & its outta adjustment before the vale is fully closed!!! WTF?! anyone ran into this issue? man if i gotta order custo lenght push rods for this small of a cam thats really gonna fry me!:wack: Any ideas or had this issue?
Thanks.

The pushrod seat in the lifter is higher than the original lifters you had in there. You will have to measure for the right ones. You might get lucky and find some off the shelf ones that will work, otherwise its custom pushrods or change the lifters to the one that have the deep seat in them like the 821's from comp. If it were me, I would keep the direct lube lifters and get the right pushrods.

It's the lifters. They are different depth than the stock lifters. I had to get a pushrod checker and order pushrods the correct length. I also shimmed the rocker shafts to correct the rocker angle. Check my build thread. tmm

Dang! man i was really wanten to hear her run tonight:sad5: but im deff keepen the direct lube lifters so, ill dig out my length checker & see what it goota be.Thats what i was afraid you were gonna say. Thanks man

Yep i just reread yer 273 bulid up toolmanmike i see im not alone. still a bummer really wanted to get er broke in tonight:sad5:. Plan 'b' is shut door & pop a frosty barlty pop now:drinkers::drinkers:

Well before i called it a nite i did some checking on my pushrod lenght & from what i can tell it seems they need to be roughly .275 shorter than the stockers sound about rite? Man whats weird is ive used this same stock valve train on other LA motors with hydro cams & no problms what so ever. Wonder if isky is usen a "fatter" base lobe? would also make sence to. Any one got a part# for a ball & cup push rod .275 shorter than stock? thanks guys had to try.:hello2:

Stock is rite @ 7.500, ive got a drawer full of ball & cup push rods soo i made one that is the correct length i need & its rite @ 7 9/32 (I dont have a caliper that goes that big) so thats the best i can do for overall length if that helps. thanks guys.

Ok got a push rod made & took it work (where we have big mics) & it is 7.320(and thats allowing a fudge factor in there to of apx. 20-30 thou). & what i have come up with is i called around & mancini was able to help me the most i ordered there 7.375 push rods over all length & a complete set of rocker shaft shims & that should put me well withen where i need to be with out messen up rocker geo too. Man dont remember this kinda issues with the 'ol 340, but i did replace everyting when i o/h that motor & stayed hyd to.

-
Back