Puting the smack down on a few Vette's !

-

383man

Reaction score
Man have I been busy or tired. But we went to a muscle car race this weekend that was put on by a Vette and Camaro club. All muscle cars were welcome and about 6 Mopars and 15 Fords showed up in a sea of Vette's and a few Camaro's. Ron Jr put about 9 passes on the Dart and I made one pass. He won every race as we spanked a bunch of Vette's today. Most of the Vette's were running 12's and 13's with a few in the 11's. A friend took this pic when I drove the Dart. This Z06 ran a 12.31 but it wasn't good enough as my 11 second pass smaked him good. His 60 ft was a 2.09 to my 1.61. Man the Dart was hooking hard on these Hoosier QTP tires. It seemed like I put 3 car lenths on this Z06 in the first 60 ft. We had a blast as my brother was also there with his 64 Fury. Ron

153054438.jpg

Exxxccceeellleeennnttt Job eh. Ron I'll bet you've still got that grin blastered on your face. :notworth:

Thanks for the kind replies. I looked at my sons timeslips and out of 8 time runs he beat every car he raced. He has a very big smile on his face ! Ron

What!? my Z06 lost!? how!? oh man, I wish I coulda seen their face, honestly, my old favorite car was the corvette, but I have been converted from bowtiesm to moparism.. and it looks so much better on this side, Im gonna have to stay a while.. a long while! good work! you can never put 'too much' smack down on a Chevy!

We really had a blast and the Chevy guys did treat us good. Them Z06's do run good but all the one's we raced were not faster then 12.30's and even though the Dart was off some because of the air it ran in the 11's evey pass even on the one when Jr went from first to third and it's best was 11.79. But I would have love to seen some of their faces when their $50,000 Vette or more got hammered by some Dart with less then 10k in it. I found this on the track website as they took a boatload of pics. Ron

154238857.jpg

Were the tires on the Dart slicks or street strip radials ? Also I am curious what the Vettes had done to them or were they mostly bone stock. The Vette isnt going to hook like the Dart with its much stiffer handling biased suspension... same with a Viper or anyother sports car for that matter. Watch out for that C6 Z06.. they supposedly are good for 11s at over 120 mph all day.

We use the Hoosier QTP tires on the Dart. They are 26 x 9.5 x 15 and fit perfect in the stock wheelwell. The are a dot legal street tire and he uses them some driving around. They look like slicks with a few treads so he dont want to get caught in the rain on them. You are right about the new Z06 as I have seen road test of them running 11.70's stock. I dont know what was done to the Vette's as I really didn't get to talk to many of the Vette owners. I figured even the 04 and 05 Vettes could be in the 11's and maybe get the Dart as I know they are good for mid 12's stock. The one I beat ran 12.31 @ 116. It's cabable of 11's if it hooked but like you said thats there weakness in drag racing as I ran 11.82 @ 113 and creamed him. But no way would we beat it in a top end race. His 60 ft was a 2.09 and mine was a 1.61 as thats 4 tenths right there and I seemed to put 3 car lenths on it real fast. But Jr spanked every Corvette he raced. We had an off day as usually in decent air the Dart will dip in the 11.50's @ 116. But everyone treated us very nice and was cool. It just felt good to see a muscle car from the early 70's that has about 10k in it spanking a 2000's modern tech car that cost over 50k. But I also agree the new Corcette's are really not built as drag race cars but they can hold their own. Ron

146778983.jpg

Whats the specs on the 406 383man? A stroked 340?....Nice job on the chubbies :salut:

No the 406 is a .030 over 400. It has a stock shortblock with KB pistons. Bone stock Eddy heads that comes out to 10.2 comp. MP .557 cam and the Performer RPM intake with a 750 DP. Car has a Dynamic 9.5 convertor that flashes about 4200 and uses 3.91's. Ron

383man I think I might have asked this before but has your sons car ever been dynoed at the wheels? Just curious to what kind of power it takes to push an Abody to those speeds which are roughly what I am shooting for only using a stroker small block. By the way you guys still shooting to get that Dart down into the 10s, I recall you mentioned something to that degree in another forum.

No we never dynoed the car. We did weigh it at Mason Dixon dragway about a month ago. I don't know if this is right as we plan to weigh it again but it said 3710 with my 170 lb son in the car. That says the car weighs 3540 lbs !! It is an all stock body car and I was guessing it weighed about 3400 or about with the 400 bigblock. If thats right then I would guess it's pulling at least 500 hp at the crank and a good 425 at the wheels. As for 10's we wanted to go for them but my son bought the SRT-4 from my younger son so his cash is a little tight right now. We had planned some minor changes hoping tp drop a few tenths but for now it will have to stay as it is. He says he wants to wait a year or two and mess with this 400 some while we build a 451 stroker combo to make sure we can push it into the 10's and still be a pump gas driver. Ron

-
Back