Putting a 318 mag in 74 duster

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
What electrical changes are needed ? We plan to use a 4bbl carb and edlebrock intake & electronic fuel pump & a LA distributor & coil . But I don't know how or what mods to the electrical hardness I need to do when pulling out the slant

Nothing. Nada. The main hookups are all the same, slant 6 or V8.
The only changes that may be necessary are regarding wire length- you may want to shorten some of the leads to the distributor and oil pressure sender, or just loop them up and tape them; your call. You MAY need a longer starter cable, but that's it.
As long as you're using factory components (alternator, ignition, etc.) you shouldn't have to modify a thing.
Don't forget about bypassing that pain in the a** seatbelt interlock on the '74s. Lots of threads on that.

You will have to use the senders that belong to the car for oil and temp. You are aware you will need a Magnum heads compatible intake, right? And do something with the oil pan

You will have to use the senders that belong to the car for oil and temp. You are aware you will need a Magnum heads compatible intake, right? And do something with the oil pan
Yes I have one that does la and mags , just plugs one set of holes

I've converted /6 cars to V8. I used the /6 wiring harness no issues. Of course, they won't be the perfect length.... I mean, distributor locations and all but it works no issues. Up to you if you want to splice to correct length.

Thanks much . We won't be using the temp or oil senders as he has " 3 set race gauges " under the dash

-
Back