putting a hood on a diet

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone stripped their hood taking all of the metal from underneath it off so it looks smooth does anyone have pics? I'm going to add a 6 pack scoop on my 73 duster and was thinking about doing this too it...... Ideas thanks

That is a bad idea as the bottom piece is 90%of the support. Might want to think about getting a fiberglass hood.

Attachments

• 100_0139.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 221
Keep in mind that if you go with a 'glass hood you will have the problems associated with a 'glass hood. And that is the quality is just not that great. The one I used was designed to be used with light weight springs so it has a frame under it. The frame was not centered very well so the hinges needed to be bent and a shim installed between the hood and hinge. It is also a bit short from front to back and sits a bit high on the left side at the cowl. It has a HEMI scoop molded it to it and started cracking before it was even painted so a stainless stell structure was fabbed up to fit inside the front edge of the scoop and outwards into the flat area of the hood. This was then glassed into the scoop and the hood. Would not be surprised if by the time all was said and done (a prop rod had to be added as the light weight hood springs were not strong enough to hold it up) that the weight is very close to a factory steel hood.

Seen this car at the Fall Fling last year. Think a glass hood is the way to go though. Can get it with a scoop molded in and it is going to be way lighter.

Attachments

• 100_4866.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_4867.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 187
Ya id like to go glass but the prices Arnt to my taste.. I found a six pack glass hood from usbpdy for 389$ but shipping is 150$ and that totally kills it... Maybe ill just buy there scoop and throw it on my hood

I am all for swiss cheesing things but don't see the point of doing it to a hood. He may of lost a few ponds doing that. 5lb max I would say. Put a glass hood on and you knock off 30-40 lb depending on if you use a lift off or bolt on hood.

Have you tryed Unlimited fiberglass? Think they are a lot closer and you can pick it up and save on shipping. Don't know how good there quality is though.

Here is some of my cheese work. Is for a drag only car with gutted doors and lexan windows.

Attachments

• 100_4909.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_4910.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 172
I am all for swiss cheesing things but don't see the point of doing it to a hood. He may of lost a few ponds doing that. 5lb max I would say. Put a glass hood on and you knock off 30-40 lb depending on if you use a lift off or bolt on hood.

Have you tryed Unlimited fiberglass? Think they are a lot closer and you can pick it up and save on shipping. Don't know how good there quality is though.

Here is some of my cheese work. Is for a drag only car with gutted doors and lexan windows.

ya that stuff makes sense but the hood looks E'FD UP

'75 or '76 car?

73 up duster find a feather duster hood. It has aluminum reinforcing structure. the way u can tell is around the edges instead of spot welds there are crimps that hold the to pieces togather.

-
Back