Putting complete V8 Suspension under 74 Dart, what all to have before swapping?

-

1mopar4life

Reaction score
I hate to ask and get attacked for not taking the time to search but maybe my thread will help others.

With that out of the way, I have a 74 Dart Sport and I have a 74 Duster 318 car. My Dart started life as a /6 car with 4 wheel drums and now that I have drove it a bit, the suspension needs swapped over to the V8 parts as well as the brakes. I have a complete poly bushing kit ordered for it already. What all other parts should I replace? I know I will need to take most of my brake parts to a parts store and use them as a core for reman'd parts. I am pulling K-Member, torsion bars, rear end + leaf springs, and every single other thing I can pull to put on my Dart so it will handle and drive as it should. Im also wanting to buy the Addco front and rear sway bar kit to put under it to tame the body roll. Do they come with all the hardware I need to mount them? The Duster is not equipped with either sway bar so I assume I will have to weld tabs on or drill holes?

(I bought this car from another guy that had got it looking and driving well enough to make it a solid project but of course corners were cut and some things were done "good er nuff")

The 4 wheel drum is a total death trap and the suspension being for a /6 but a 318 in the nose of it makes running around with more than 2 people in the car a challenge because of headers dragging.

Thanks for the help guys, I am getting my parts list together so I can swap everything and do everything at one time so it wont have to be done twice!

The only difference between a 6cyl and 8cyl suspension is MAYBE the torsion bars. If I were upgrading your setup, I'd install all new components (ball joints, bushings, tie rods,etc.), heavier duty torsion bars, and a Hellwig sway bar (see the vender ad on the right edge of this page). I'd also upgrade the braking system with disc brakes.

Go with a Helwig anti sway bar or other well designed aftermarket unit. They are a few more bucks, but engineered much better.

Addco bar is ok, but their mounting system is less than substandard, and will fail at some point. Don’t waste money and time on one.

I would look for new torsion bars in the 0.940” to 1.00 inch range, a decent set of shocks front and back, all new bushings with tight serviceable suspension parts, and you will have a nice handling car.

You should consider installing a set of sub frame connectors as well to tie front and rear of car together.

-
Back