putting in stereo, need suggestions.

-

kickywow

Reaction score
Im putting an aftermarket stereo into my daily driver 78 plymouth volare (I know its kind of newer). On my dart swinger the fuse box has accessory spots on it, in my volare there is no accessory spots.

I know where to hook the ground but the positive is my issue. I have one wire for the accessory( when the car is turned on so does the radio)

and one wire that is "hot" or has power all time time. i was thinking for theis one since i dont have a cig lighter take the wire from that one.

but what should i tap into with the accessory wire?

also will i have to get an am/fm antenna if i just have am now?

Thanks, Nick

Antenna is the same not sure on the place to tap but I would suggest one that is only on when ignition is put onto accesory so probably the wire the factory radio is powered by.

I thought about that. And where would you draw the main power from? should i run a wire right to the battery?

Find the dome light fuse and attach the wire that needs power all the time to save your memories on the selected stations you pick out.
this wire is to save any memory like a clock or selected stations. and yes, your aerial wire (antenna) will work good.

When I had my Volare I tapped into the old hot feed for the old radio like was said previous.
If the wire is long enough for the power to the clock and memory you could always run it to the
battery if no other option is available.
And yes the antenna is the same I didn't change mine it worked OK.

why run a wire all the way back to your battery, get some good wire taps and splice the wires at the fuse block. by good wire taps, I mean the ones that encase the wire and then a spade connector is used for your tap.

Most after-market radios have 2 power leads - switched accessory power and constant 12 V for the station pre-set memory.

Try getting a wiring kit, will give you instructions and details about what wires go where, and then you also get a faceplate to adapt newer din style radios in the big hole that Chrysler used.

Example:

$(KGrHqF,!g0E-9B,oLZKBP+P2p1oW!~~60_3.JPG

I got it figured out yesterday. I havent hooked up the am/fm yet. I also put the radio under the seat so i could keep the dash looking original. I dunno why, I know its a volare and all but oh well. I did tap into the radio fuse and i ran a wire with an inline 20amp all the way to the battery. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Nick

-
Back