Putting in torsion bars

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Hi there, been going through front end on 65 Dart. I'm went to slide torsion bars in tonight and they don't line up with frame and control arm no matter which way I twist them. I've done this a couple of times but it's been over ten years since last time. Wondering if I did something out of sequence and maybe I have to split the ball joint to have a little more movement. Is there a easy fix that I'm not seeing? I'll check back later, thanks

as above, make sure the adjuster is screwed all the way out so the tip id flush with the anchor. push the anchor down all the way. If it doesn't align slightly, then mofve the anchor up a little to side the bar in. No two bars are alike after 48 years or so.

obviously make sure you got the right and left side "sided" correctly. they are marked. also, I think if you unbolt the bumpstop for the upper A arm and loosen the pivot of the lower control arm it makes it a bit easier. It's hard to twist the lower control arm with the tension of the lower bushing tight. If all that fails then yes disco the ball joint. (Upper or lower) also, I know you have done this but got to mention to have the adjusters in the totally loose position.

Now you've got me thinking, brought arms in to have bushings changed they might have got tightened at shop. I'll check out tomorrow see if that's it. thanks all!

Keep the nut loose on the front of the lower arm, that assy will move if that nut is loose. if it is snug, use a long extension and hammer and tap the anchor down. if it goes down too far, pry it back up a bit. You don't need to do anything with any ball joints. If necessary, put a floor jack under the A frame and move the unit slightly, taking the weight off, will help the bar will go in as well. Don't worry if one side is slightly different than the other. The left bar tends to have more wear than the left.

-
Back