Putting money into the valiant, suggestions?

-
1970Duster, you very clearly have no real understanding of the actual, practical benefits and drawbacks of a roller cam. You can avoid getting trounced like this in future by sticking to what you actually know (not what you're guessing or assuming, not what you think you understand) when giving advice.

1970Duster, you very clearly have no real understanding of the actual, practical benefits and drawbacks of a roller cam. You can avoid getting trounced like this in future by sticking to what you actually know (not what you're guessing or assuming, not what you think you understand) when giving advice.

To the OP on this thread, sorry for jacking your thread and I still say that roller cam is the way to go, just get it custom made to your specs. If your rebuilding your motor anyway you'll still need to get a cam so just give it a thought. At the end of the day you pick the route you need because you get to pay for it. Also I'm done with this thread and remember if you want the best you got to pay for it.

To slantsixdan,
I respect your opinions, but when it comes to your opinions on this matter I can tell you where to stick it8) (in another thread I could completely agree with you). Now "stick to what you know" and "in the future" don't ever assume you anything about me (or anyone else for that matter), because you "very clearly" don't. But I'll give you a little peak, since retrofit roller cams have hit the market I've stuck them in just about everything from Small Block Chevy, Small Block Mopar, Small Block Ford, Big Block Chevy, and Big Block Fords. Now I haven't stuck in a R/RB motor (or Hemi) yet because I haven't had any projects geared towards one yet, but trust me I'll use a Roller Cam in it when I do get a project geared up for a R/RB (or Hemi). So Yes, I am very familiar with roller cams. That being said what is the down side of a setup that reduces valvetrain wear and tear and also brings you into your power curve sooner and keeps you there longer. Now maybe I am and so are todays car manufactures are all wrong (because they're putting roller cams in todays engines) and we need to come consult your expect opinion on cams. Dude get off your high horse and stop "sticking to what you know" and learn something; this is my "advice" to you. I've said what had to say and consider the matter done, have a nice one.

That being said what is the down side of a setup that reduces valvetrain wear and tear and also brings you into your power curve sooner and keeps you there longer. Now maybe I am and so are todays car manufactures are all wrong (because they're putting roller cams in todays engines) and we need to come consult your expect opinion on cams. .

There are several downsides. I am VERY aware of them because I spent about two months trying to get a roller cam for my /6 turbocharged race car.

I have a friend who, up until November, raced an (NHRA) A/SA big block 427 Chevy, a class in which OEM style lifters are a class requirement (flat tappets.) He experimented with roller, "billet" blanks (no billet blanks were available for flat tappet big block flat tappet Chevy cams), because he was flattening cams; He tried ceramic (Schubesk) lifters and tool-steel lifters, all the while adding ZDDP in required amounts to his cam/lifters. He ended up with no less that four (4) "flat" cams, and that scared me to death!

I started trying to buy a roller cam for our /6/turbo project, in deference to his ongoing problems.

I emailed or called every cam manufacturer I could find that ground roller cams and slant-6 cams over the last 25 years. I wanted a roller BAD.... real bad!!!

They all told me the same thing, in one way or another: There are no blanks extant for a /6 roller cam. In order to get a roller cam ground, I'd have to first, provide the cam grinder with a blank ($1,000.00+) and then come up with a set of lifters that would work on that blank and come up with some way to keep those lifters aligned.

Special pushrods would be required to match the different required length, and one-off receiver cups would be required in the lifters.

As someone else pointed out, the oil pump and distributor would be a problem, since there is no gear on the cam to drive them,

We are looking at at least @1,500.00 here for a CAMSHAFT. Probably a whole lot more after procuring a remote drive oil pump and a distributorless ignition.

The amount of time necessary to get all this stuff together, and the insane cost to make it happen, would make it a "never gonna happen" deal for 99-percent of people fooling with /6 cars.

Probably more like 100-percent.

I was disappointed in what I learned, but have since come to the realization that the reasons that other engines NEED roller cams and /6s don't are:

1. Slant 6s have small (light-weight) valves, so don't need a lot of valve spring pressure to control valve float, so cam life is not a problem, generally.

2. The 4,125" /6 stroke keeps RPM's on the most popular (225-inch) /6 motors under 6-grand, so a lot of valve spring pressure is not needed to control valve float.

3. There are no racing organizations that have classes for a /6 where a roller tappet would be a class advantage. NHRA only has classes for '6s in stock eliminator.

In short, common sense would tell you (or, anyone else) that at this stage of the game, dealing with the considerable hassle and egregious expense for the slight advantage afforded by a roller cam, in a /6 is just not something that a thinking person is going to do.

I once saw a guy put a Chevy V8 in a Nash Metropolitan (look it up) with a VERY LARGE shoehorn.....

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should.

Thanks guys for jacking my thread! i am NOT doing a roller cam setup thx for the advice anyway. Like i said before this car is going to be a daily driver for my buddys girl friend and she don't need things like roller cams lol.

Anyway we did an electric ignition, cooling system service, did the brakes and now looking for disc brakes.

I have done a few v8 rebuilds and i am just inching to do a rebuild on a slant 6 but if you guys think its a good idea to weight i will.

anyway any other advise would be great thx guys

No rebuild required!!! A tune up, new tires, alignment, alarm, seat covers, pillow and blanket, good insurance, credit card and some cash. Then send her on her way. Dante's is a good place to check on interior. Good Luck!

-
Back