Putting old school 392 in a 70 duster

-

Txvaliantduster70

Reaction score
Hey fellow MoPar brethren I have a 1958 392 HEMI, and I want to put it in my 70 valiant-duster... Anyone conquered such a feat? Any an all help would be much appreciated

You'll need to fab mounts, Exh, everything. I helped my dad do this in a 67 Coronet and it was not easy, so in the smaller A engine bay its going to be tougher. Anything can be done with time and money. They weigh a lot. In my opinion, unless you want the wow factor, sell it and do a modern hemi or big block.

Man... you've chosen the heaviest automobile engine ever made.. 762 lbs..

I'm very familiar with those engines,, and sure wouldn't use one if performance was the idea,,

my .02

Hey fellow MoPar brethren I have a 1958 392 HEMI, and I want to put it in my 70 valiant-duster... Anyone conquered such a feat? Any an all help would be much appreciated

I've got a 354 in my Dart and someone else on here has one in a Valiant.
Not easy to do . Pm me your Phone number and we can chat.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 239
Well this Is my first " mopar muscle car" build... Me and my dad generally are in the 50's (we have 2 57 plymouths and a 57 imperial ) but I've done pony cars for the competition... And a duster style a body is my dream car to build , and to put a modern HEMI in an A body when you have nothing to start with is from my research and calling every manufacturer of swap parts is a starting price of $10,000 ... Before the much needed body work and other stuff

Yep the baby hemi's are easier to put in A bodies

Man... you've chosen the heaviest automobile engine ever made.. 762 lbs..

I'm very familiar with those engines,, and sure wouldn't use one if performance was the idea,,

my .02

Why not for performance ? I have had several offers for that motor for the simple fact of the output.

The weight is not but about 100 pounds more than a small block. I have an almost fully assembled 331 on my engine stand. That 762 pounds is including the hermorphodite timing cover and water pump. These heavy items are usually thrown in the ditch on hot rod builds in favor of chebbie pieces. I mean, where the heck you gonna find an early hemi water pump on a Sunday afternoon? Also, probably over 90% of those who build these engines will also have one form of an aluminum intake manifold and headers. Original weights included the cast iron intake and cast iron exhaust manifolds. I always kinda chuckle when people start hollerin how heavy they are. In the end, they're about in line with most anything else you'd put under the hood.

. That 762 pounds is including the hermorphodite timing cover and water pump. These heavy items are usually thrown in the ditch on hot rod builds in favor of chebbie pieces. I mean, where the heck you gonna find an early hemi water pump on a Sunday afternoon? Also, probably over 90% of those who build these engines will also have one form of an aluminum intake manifold and headers. .

When I started wanting to rebuild this motor 6-7 years ago PAW was an awesome source of parts including the chevy water pump and stuff... But now all they do Is ebay and I can't find anything that I need "Le sigh" I guess I will keep looking... Only had the car about a month so maybe something will come up. The Gen 1 hemi swaps I have seen generally look bare in accessory pulleys, if u want to enjoy it with the family I will need A/C. :violent1: I do have a 318 poly not being used......

When I started wanting to rebuild this motor 6-7 years ago PAW was an awesome source of parts including the chevy water pump and stuff... But now all they do Is ebay and I can't find anything that I need "Le sigh" I guess I will keep looking... Only had the car about a month so maybe something will come up. The Gen 1 hemi swaps I have seen generally look bare in accessory pulleys, if u want to enjoy it with the family I will need A/C. :violent1: I do have a 318 poly not being used......

Hot heads will have most everything you need . Bob Walker (owner) is a great person to talk to and can get you started. I would stay away from PAW. EGGI has some stuff but Bob will have everything you need and good quality stuff. As far as performance is concerned , It will put out as much as you want it to. I have a short clip on You Tube under 1968 Dodge Dart Wanna Bee.

-
Back