Putting together a dana 60 for my dart

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The dana 60 I have is narrowed original to 68-69 b-body.
I bought it as a complete unit with 4.88 gears and traded the power lock back to the original owner for a spool. I sold those gears to a buddy.
So now is time for me to put it back together regeared with 4.10 and spool .
Is there a step by step book with pictures (lots of pictures) which I could buy to put this thing back together correctly.
I don't know if it has inner axle seals or if it's supposed to.
I have green bearings on 35 spline Dutchman axles
I've tried looking into YouTube videos but mostly come up with some front end 60 and I'm not sure they're the same.
I see oil slingers on those, this one had none.
I wish I would've taken the bearings off and noted the shims below and below the race but I am stupid almost always 49% of the time lol.
Anyways anybody know a book, please share or something else I can learn from.
Thanks!

No, I didn't need one to get it apart.
But if I need one then I'll have to get one.
You might can get by without one. Lots of people do. Just be aware, that's how the bearing preload is made. They almost always come out fine. Going in is where the issue arises. Although you can do it without the spreader, you risk breaking a preload shim, because without the spreader, you have tap the shims in to acheive beraing preload and those shims are very hard and brittle. Every salisbury type rear axle made is "supposed" use a case spreader to properly install all of the preload shims without damage. Plenty of people do it without them, but just know there's a risk.

You might can get by without one. Lots of people do. Just be aware, that's how the bearing preload is made. They almost always come out fine. Going in is where the issue arises. Although you can do it without the spreader, you risk breaking a preload shim, because without the spreader, you have tap the shims in to acheive beraing preload and those shims are very hard and brittle. Every salisbury type rear axle made is "supposed" use a case spreader to properly install all of the preload shims without damage. Plenty of people do it without them, but just know there's a risk.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind !!

-
Back