Putting Together A New 8.75 Rear Drum Setup

-

MN1968Valiant

In College's Stranglehold
Reaction score
Okay, I couldn't really find a good singular source of information on this subject, so I decided to start a new thread. I've got an a-body 8.75 rear with big bolt pattern axles, 10" backing plates, and I need to assemble a complete rear brake system before swapping this axle in place of my present 7.25 unit. I'm new to brakes, and so I'm unclear about what all parts I need for system assembly and where to get them. It's my understanding that since I have the big bolt pattern that later '73-and-up a-body brakes should work, but I'm not sure. Basically, I'm looking for the info on what parts off of what year cars I would need to build myself a complete new rear brake system.

When I did mine this spring, I ordered parts for a 74 dart with 10 inch brakes: drums, wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware kit, self adjuster kit. I used the ebrake cables off my 7 1/4.

You also need the e brake sprague( not sure of it's correct name) and lever peice, with spring , which I found used .

Think I covered it all?

Hope that helps I have some pictures at home if you need some..

I think the backing plates, shoes, & drums are a "set" kind of deal. The backing plates have a built in offset that allows them to work with the corresponding correct width drums & shoes so you need to get drums that are the correct width for the 10" backing plates that you have. I think some of this might also depend on the length of the axles you have but I've never done the BBP swap, only SBP stuff. I could be wrong here so somebody feel free to jump in & correct me if necessary.

Did you go 10 x 1.75 or 10 x 2.5 on your drums? Thanks for the quick reply, too.

I had 2.5 inch backing plates so that is what I went with. I think the 2.5 parts are easier to find

I got my axles/bearings from Dr Diff.. Everything went together without a hitch.. Like I said if you need to see some pictures, I can send you or take more if you need.
Ken

The 10x2.5 drums is what I used with the corresponding backing plates. These drums are around $35 each.

make sure backing plate and drum match. pick a year with 10x 2 1/2 brakes. most stuff can be bought at napa shucks etc. spreader bars are a little harder to come by. they don't produce them any more. there is a guy in new york that has all the hard to find stuff , his name is studnick. if you run into truble let me know and i'll get his address for you

-
Back