Q-Jet Usage on a 340

-

maz72

Reaction score
Anyone out there running a Q-Jet on a 340? I am thinking about trying one in place of the T-Quad. I have a stock iron 71 manifold. Anything out of the ordinary needed to make this work? What CFM are you using and how is the performence? What other aftermarket manifolds are out there that accept a spreadbore other than the Performer which is no improvement over my stock manifold. Any info a help. Thanks.

My '88 van w/ 360 has a Q-jet stock, it would be the best one to find because of the Mopar style linkage on it. The problem with T-quads is finding metering rods or jets and parts being they have been out of production for quite some time and that would be the only problem with them. Edelbrock's Q-jet is the later style Q-jet which is the same as the Moper Q-jet so the strip kits work with them. I also have one on a 273 and an extra in the garage. They also have electric chokes. For the most part GM Q-jets were 750cfm thru 1970 then in 1971+ up they were 800cfm. I would assume that they would have been the same for any Q-jet from 1971.

my buddy used to run a 440 in a Fury many years ago and he said the quadrajet worked the best for him...

I had a Q'Jet on a 340 20 years ago.

Worked great, once I put some, slightly leaner secondary rods in. :)

The thing you may have to watch out for is linkage and how the choke works as in electric choke or hot air or...........
Edelbrock offers a 795 cfm unit with the correct linkage I think. It also comes with a thick gasket. If you have an EGR manifold, double check clearance there. Although I think it not a problem, I have not been there yet.

Other manifolds that would work besides stock iron intakes would be the Edelbrock Performer, Weiand Action plus and MoPars single plane M-1.

Noted performance of the Q-jet seems a hair behind the T-Q. But this is only from what I have read in the rags. Taken with a grain of salt.

I agree with Rumblefish, I have had good luck with TQ's and believe them to be a better set up than the Q jet's. JMHO. Terry.

-
Back