QA 1 tubular K frame and a hemi

-

Spook120

Reaction score
Just purchased Tqfastfish's mid project dart. It came with a new QA 1 tubular K frame and Strange brake set up. I am looking at finishing the project as a hemi dart clone. Question I have is will the QA 1 K frame work for a 572 crate hemi? If so does TTI make a set of headers that will clear? If this suspension doesn't work, I will replace it with a regular stock modified K frame. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

you are correct......biggest challenge are the motor mounts and the Qa1.....

if you are after the factory look, here is my suggestion....sell the QA1 and modify / adapt a dime-a- don factory K with SS/FX mounts..
http://www.ssandafx.com/products.html

TTi now makes headers that all in all... work pretty well with the SS/FX mounts
of course you will also need to offset the master cylinder....the more the offset, the better

good luck
Denny

Thanks for the reply. I guess it would be more appropriate to say I am going to build a "hemi in a dart" as I really don't want to go BSC on the perfect clone type thing. Most likely will have to put tubs in the car as it was cut to the frame rails when purchased...the joy of buying a mid project car! Anyway if I decide to keep the QA1 k-frame will the motor mount placement work with a crate hemi? I do think you are probably correct in saying that I should sell the pretty aftermarket stuff and go with original, but just planning the build at this stage. Just don't want to get half way into the project and end up redoing a bunch of expensive stuff. Thanks again.

I think you got a great piece to start with.....I was tempted because what was done so far...looked great.

The issue with the QA1 is adapting the mounts. ...the Ss/Fx ones are made to weld right on the factory piece..not. a tubular k.

Not to say it can't be done....but why spend $700 for mounts and only use half of them.

Good point. Was looking at your previous threads. If I end up with tubs, which is likely I do like the looks of the trailer fenders you grafted on your duster. Any contact information on the suppliers of those? I pulled an enclosed trailer 3000 miles, half way across Canada and then back to Minnesota with the dart....so you could say I have a vested interest in doing it right. Dart was a solid car and should make a good foundation for my project. Now I need to get out my money gun! Are the SS/AFX motor mounts the only ones that work with the hemi/a-body transformation or will Shumacher's stuff work...as I have a set of those in my 64 Savoy..with 572 hemi. Thanks for taking the time to communicate your knowledge. It is much appreciated.

No sweat....I love Hemi A bodies....no matter how ya do it.

I have made several sets for factory k's....you could make your own, just depends on your $$$ to skill ratio.

I will look up a link on the fenders later....at the sprint car races tonight watching my nephew.

Not to change subject. I am curious about disc brakes and solid rotors. They don't really look like street rotors, look more like drag only rotors. Just wondered. Good luck with the build.

Not sure about the rotors. I think the issue will be that the rotors and strange components will not clear 14 inch rims...which is what the hemi darts came with in the front and 11 inch drums in rear. It would not surprise me if I end up selling the whole front suspension and brake set up and end up with something more "stock". Time will tell.

Talked to the QA1 folks. According to the scant information they supplied I need Shumacker (sp?) motor mounts and then the tubular frame should work. I guess I will just see what happens realizing the original K frame solution remains. Any other collective wisdom will be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Talked to the QA1 folks. According to the scant information they supplied I need Shumacker (sp?) motor mounts and then the tubular frame should work. I guess I will just see what happens realizing the original K frame solution remains. Any other collective wisdom will be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Give Schumacher a call. I use his mounts and trust his (Michael Schumacher) judgemeet He has never steered me wrong.

Would be nice if they work.....I will stay tuned.

Will do. Right now fighting with local DMV attempting to get a title with only a bill of sale. Figured it would be a PITA and it is not disappointing me. But hey, if it would be easy everyone would do it.... Spook

-
Back