QFT Brawler; anyone else see this???

-

Killer6

Reaction score
So I got a call from a Bud & former co-worker that His tubbed SBC wouldn't start & run w/o repeatedly priming it with fuel/spray, & He wanted Me to check it out. New tank, pump, lines, filter/pressure reg.assy. It had a mix-match of parts, so I did a positive-stop TDC check(OK ~1.5°), & set the timing on the MSD at trigger-point. Adjusted the fuel reg. just under the max recommended, then We lit it up with a little fluid, nope, same ****....+ the fuel level in the sight glasses seemed erratic.
Hardly any discharge from the squirters, & would barely run when it did run. I told Him the carb was screwed, but at a loss why a new carb'd do that, then I left. I get a call later, He tossed a Holley 650DP He had laying around from another project on, and was burning the **** out of the tires up & down the street....so He gave Me the Brawler & this....
20230619_174843.jpg

And this...
20230619_174612.jpg

WTF???

I called and asked if it was indeed sealed in plastic in the box, He stated it was was, FYI.

Without knowing the car, he could've had a bunch of junk in his old fuel line that got pushed into the bowls. Tough to tell.

I had this happen with an Amazon carb I bought. It came from their fulfillment center and had obviously been used and returned, and sold as new. There was sediment in every orifice of that thing. I was always taught to disassemble new cylinder heads and carbs before using. It removes a variable.

.....and one of the floats replaced.
I have the QF Brawler Race 850 and one of the floats is Nitrophyl and the other is brass too. Which is weird. I bought mine in 2020 when parts were scarce.

I have the QF Brawler Race 850 and one of the floats is Nitrophyl and the other is brass too. Which is weird. I bought mine in 2020 when parts were scarce.
Mine too.(850 brawler race also)
Edit: they use the nitrophyl in the rear cause of the jet extensions. In the front, no extensions, so no need for the nitro, so you get brass.

Last edited:
So I got a call from a Bud & former co-worker that His tubbed SBC wouldn't start & run w/o repeatedly priming it with fuel/spray, & He wanted Me to check it out. New tank, pump, lines, filter/pressure reg.assy. It had a mix-match of parts, so I did a positive-stop TDC check(OK ~1.5°), & set the timing on the MSD at trigger-point. Adjusted the fuel reg. just under the max recommended, then We lit it up with a little fluid, nope, same ****....+ the fuel level in the sight glasses seemed erratic.
Hardly any discharge from the squirters, & would barely run when it did run. I told Him the carb was screwed, but at a loss why a new carb'd do that, then I left. I get a call later, He tossed a Holley 650DP He had laying around from another project on, and was burning the **** out of the tires up & down the street....so He gave Me the Brawler & this....
View attachment 1716111925
And this...
View attachment 1716111928
WTF???
That’s just awful. Good for u though. Kim

I have no idea how that crap got into that carb, but... I can tell you that when I bought mine recently to replace an ancient 4781, I pulled the bowls off, to check jetting more than anything else. It was spotless inside..
I put it on my engine and it runs beautifully. I haven't tuned it yet, due to a brake problem.... but I have faith.. it's already worlds better than the 4781, which I have yet to investigate.

Without knowing the car, he could've had a bunch of junk in his old fuel line that got pushed into the bowls. Tough to tell.

I had this happen with an Amazon carb I bought. It came from their fulfillment center and had obviously been used and returned, and sold as new. There was sediment in every orifice of that thing. I was always taught to disassemble new cylinder heads and carbs before using. It removes a variable.
This is a tubbed S10, 350 w/camelbacks, as per 1st post, fuel system all new.....
****, I just put frt.end parts on the old Gr. Caravan, when I opened the box for the outer tie-rod ......greasy bent cotter pin, split boot , the works. Felt tight, may have been a misdiagnosed noise return, but I ain't puttin' that **** on My or any car I service for somebody. I can't even count how many times in 36+ yrs. that's happened, and it really pisses Me off when a Customer is cooling their heels in the waiting room & dogshit like this is dumped on the job. If a part wasn't the problem, give it to the Cust. at cost/eat it, leave the damn thing on there & move on.
Ohhh, there's more...

Mine too.(850 brawler race also)
Edit: they use the nitrophyl in the rear cause of the jet extensions. In the front, no extensions, so no need for the nitro, so you get brass.
This ^^^, rear jet extensions need the nitro w/cutouts.
20230619_174638.jpg

Everybody who's dropped a QuickFuel on that I know has been happy, this thing has been run/installed by someone, but who/how/why it got re-packaged/sealed-up is the real mystery. Tiny strip-tie on choke rod, bent WOT choke unloader tang with a couple of nicks in it,....
20230627_181024.jpg

I called and asked if it was indeed sealed in plastic in the box, He stated it was was, FYI.
Does the box it came in show signs of having been resealed (i.e. taped over the original tape, or new staples added, signs of pre-existing staple holes etc) ?? Looks like that thing was dropped in the dirt, or even thrown in the dirt deliberately by a pissed previous purchaser, then dusted off, returned, then put back in stock for sale. On close inspection do the bowls at fuel line fitting bosses or vents of the body show any signs of scuffing or abrasion etc as compared to the rest of the carb finish? Wow!

That thing looks like it was run by somebody with a load of crap in their fuel system/tank, then returned, shelved and resold. That was done to me with defective alternator. I would document further what you find, and inquire how to send it back for a good part.
Or, it might just need a good cleaning ( something the customer should NOT have to do!)

-
Back