qtr install?

-

shawns71rr

Reaction score
hi guys and gals i am working on finishing my 71 demon and i need some idea how to handle the lower part of the tail pan where it meets the qtr (replaced both qtrs with yearone re-pops). there are two wings that stick out to the the rear at both corners, looks like thay are there to fill the gap between the bumper. These where rusted off the car and not shure how to finish the ends. if you have a way to do this and or pick that would be awsome.

I had the same issue with my 73 duster.. here is what i did.

I used a couple of pairs of vise grips and bent the end (compound bend - curves in 2 directions.) I used some pictures and some measurements I had from what was left of one of the old ones. What you end up with is where the quarter wraps from the face (side of the car) into the tail, there is like 3/4 of an inch then it bends back to meet flush with the little wings that stick out of the car.

Basically when you are looking at the quarter the back edge steps back away from you by about 3/4 inch.

here are the pictures that I used to "make it work"

two of the pics are from members here one is 70duster440 and the demon is from moptn or something like that (sorry) :(
Can't believe that I didn't take pics of mine when I got done... I had a hard time finding the reference pics.

spaint2 (Small).jpg

LfQtr01 (Small).jpg

IMG00135 (Small).jpg

So you just welded two in that you made from hand? Seems like it a common problem both where gone from my demon and one is missing from my duster.

yeah I had to make one from scratch, but at least one side was good enough to mimic the other side. The metal is pretty thin there to begin with but I just made a little piece and tack/grind repeat...
but once you bend the quarter to match and weld it all up it does end up being fairly stiff.
One of the problems I had was while removing the old spot welds and qrtr while trying to keep that thin piece in its original shape. I'm not so sure I got mine back to original dimensions but it sure beats the previous patches that left the quarter behind the wheel about 2 inches below the bottom of the bumper... eww

-
Back