Quarter Panel Marker lights

-

HemiDuster70

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a resto mod thingy with my 70 Duster. I replaced the rear quarters with skins from amd and realized there were no cut outs for the marker lights...I thought awesome, lets delete those bad boys since they bother me anyways.

But then I got to thinking, they were on there for a reason. and im sure looks was not accounted into that reason. So my question is, is there any known legal reason to have them on there? I reasoned out that i was probably just for safety. I tried searching the forums, the internet and my local laws but I cannot seem to find any.

Also I cant say that ive ever seen anyone actually delete them. Is this a thing people do? I know mopar nuts are OEM fanatics, please keep in mind this is a resto mod, I dont care about period correctness or all that jazz. Just looking for a clean pro touring look.

Don't know if you have vehicle inspections in your state but it might be a problem.... no way to see/identify you from the side view at night.

First off; welcome to the site.

I would say that it depends on your state vehicle licensing laws.

If you choose not to run them, it won't effect anything mechanically. If you choose to put it back on, you have a few options. You can cut the piece where the light mounts from the old quarter, cut the new quarter to match, and weld that piece in for attaching it. The other option is to make a template of the hole from the edges of the fender, trace that onto the new fender, and cut the new fender to match.

These were required federally. However, there may not be anyone who enforces that. If you travel "a lot" and we've heard the horror stories of the back east "weights" guys, you might find yourself alongside the road.

On the other hand, it might depend on whether you gave "that cop" some reason to look for an excuse.

Well, if they were federally required I imagine that hasn't changed, so on they go. Thanks for the quick response

I think after 1968 marker light were federally required. Technically, in TX, all OE lights have to work. I shaved mine on my 72 Dart. Haven't had the safety inspection yet. If I had the lights and one was burnt out...they'd notice I'm sure. With the panels shaved, and no light installed, I seriously doubt they'll notice or even think about it.

That beings said...my backup plan is to install tiny dime sized colored LED's I picked up. They come in appropriate colors and are nearly flush. I already have them, but seriously doubt I'll catch any grief and have to use them.

There are hundreds of Federal laws that are not enforced at the state level. I'd say it depends on your state. Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. They don't even inspect cars over 25 years old here, and I live in one of the worst nanny-states there is.

-
Back