quarter panels

-

Joe334

Reaction score
My quarter panels are rusted at the bottom skin (surprised?). Anyways, i was thinking about just welding some sheet metal in there. Would that be okay? And if so, what guage of sheet metal do i need to use? Its just the very bottom 4 inches of the quarter, right behind the tires. Any thoughts?

Joe

When I did mine on the cuda a long time ago, I bought some 1/4 panel skins and only used the back portion behind the wheel. We also had to replace the inner vertical panel so the extra material from the full length panel skins came in handy.

Later when I did the dart sport , I only needed a small strip of material to replace the bottom 3-4" of one 1/4 panel. Again I utilized the left over 1/4 panel skins from the barracuda to supply this.

Not sure what gage the material was, but prefabbed rust repair panels are the way to go.

Bob

Yeah it really sux to pay 300+ for entire quarter skins just to repair the lower rear sections but forming raw material to fit and look right is nearly impossible.
If I buy an entire quarter skin I'm gonna use it. Otherwise I'll just patch with screen and fiberglass or bondo. Either way I suggest you replace the trunk lid seal to keep wtaer out.

Probably 20 - 22 gauge, I get scraps of 18 gauge from a sheet metal buddy of mine and it's thicker than anything I've ever patched.

A whole quarter skin purchase is not necessary. Just the lower rear part is available. Year One has them for $129 each or $249 for the pair for example. Plus it will cost a lot less in shipping charges being it is alot smaller that a whole quater.

Chuck

-
Back