Quarter stick questions

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Two questions regarding the Hurst Quarter Stick shifter.

#1: do you need a cable bracket to install a 1/4 Stick shifter on to a 904? It's in the Summit 'suggested parts' tab for the forward VB application. Link HERE.

#2 - if you buy the forward shift pattern unit and you want to change it to reverse pattern later on, can you just buy a new shift pattern plate or do you need an entirely new shifter? Didn't see the part listed anywhere, hope someone can shed some light on this for me. Don't want to buy the shifter twice since I have future plans for a reverse manual valve body.

Thanks!

- Greg

yes you need that bracket to install the shifter. i thought it came with it though. maybe they changed that over the years.

i don't know about the forward and reverse pattern.

do you have to have the quarter stick? if not look into the turbo action cheetah. it operated a lot smoother then the hurst, the cable goes around the rear of the trans so you don't have that big stupid bracket in the way of everything. plus going around the rear of the trans keeps the cable away from all the hot spots.

yes you need that bracket to install the shifter. i thought it came with it though. maybe they changed that over the years.

i don't know about the forward and reverse pattern.

do you have to have the quarter stick? if not look into the turbo action cheetah. it operated a lot smoother then the hurst, the cable goes around the rear of the trans so you don't have that big stupid bracket in the way of everything. plus going around the rear of the trans keeps the cable away from all the hot spots.

Thanks for the tips Joe. Those bracket things add a significant charge to the part, like $27.

Not married to the 1/4 Stick, I just like it. The Cheetah has that big ugly plastic cover and little dinky shifter handle. I'm sure it works well, it just looks cheap to me. I like the idea of the traditional shifter handle and ball better than the little plastic T handle on the Cheetah.

i have a reverse valve body in my 904 with a quater stick shifter and it came with everything i needed

100_0847.jpg

i have a reverse valve body in my 904 with a quater stick shifter and it came with everything i needed

My question is whether or not you can get the shift pattern plate separately or do you have to buy a whole new shifter?

Edit: So you're saying it came with the bracket? For $169 or was yours the more expensive one?

The Cheetah has that big ugly plastic cover and little dinky shifter handle. I'm sure it works well, it just looks cheap to me.

lol.. its funny. i think the same thing with B&M shifters. and have always seen the cheetah in the fast cars at the track. its all personal preference.

lol.. its funny. i think the same thing with B&M shifters. and have always seen the cheetah in the fast cars at the track. its all personal preference.

im with ya buddie i never liked b&m stuff(no offence to anyone) and yes mine was the more expensive one i got it from summit pn huu-3160014 as far as changing it from forward to reverse i dont know but i am assuming the only diffrence is the locking device in the reverse like mine it locks between second and third so you have to pull the trigger and pull it into third so you dont get too excited and skip second. i would say the forward shifter locks between second and third and then neutral to keep you from skipping second or third

I have a 1/4 stick and will try swapping it to a rear exit cable. I've done it before on other shifters and it was pretty easy.

I wanted to get a Cheetah, but, got a good deal on a new 1/4 stick.

I read the instructions on the Summit site, shoulda done that first. Anyway, unless I have it wrong, I don't think there's any need for a different shift plate since the valve body determines the shift pattern. qwik scamp was correct, it's all in how you release the gear. In forward, you bump it up to second then use the trigger to get into 3rd. In reverse, you use the trigger to release second.

Also found this video on forward operation, see below link on Brand X site.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/08/QuarterStick/images/detentstops.wmv

-
Back