Quench head for /6 ???

-

ABODY69

Reaction score
I am not a racer, but I thought this forum would be better informed to answer my question. I am planning to do a rebuild on my /6 4spd. OD equipped stepside D-100 pickup. Am shooting for more torque/efficiency and maximum gas mileage. Part of the build will involve milling the head .070 - .100 to raise the compression. With flat top pistons, I am told this will give me about 9.5 to 1. Do I need to worry about quench? Is there a quench head available? I don't wanna have to buy premium gas, and I believe with a good quench area, you can run reasonably high compression without using high octane, correct? Any input will be appreciated! Thanks.

not an xpert but you could run an aluminum head which would dissapate heat better to avoid detonation. but that probably reduces volumetric efficiency. maybe you could run a cam with more overlap to allow the incoming charge to cause some dilution to keep cylinder pressure down. you could talk to a tech on comp cams help line.Someone at slantsix.org might be helpful.

Theres aluminum heads for the slant 6? Dont bring up that old all aluminum engine now. It's not like there everywhere to be had for parts.

There are VERY FEW aluminum slant heads floating around, all prototypes from the 70's. Even the "aluminum" slant had an iron head, on an aluminum block. No such thing as an "aftermarket" aluminum head, lots have been talked about but none ever made it past the "talking" stage. It is said over on slantsix.org that the peanut plug head is a little better then the drool tube head. Factory heads are your only option without spending HUGE money.

TopHat

-
Back