Question about 4 wheel discs

-

vwmoparguy

Reaction score
I have a 65 Dart. I installed 73 and later front discs and Jeep Grand Cherokee rears. I am in the process of finish installing everything and I am running out of time for our big 1000 car cruise / show in my city this weekend.

My question is, can I use the stock drum brake master cylinder to get by for this weekend?

I bought a stock 4bolt disc/drum m/c and a Wilwood adjustable prop valve, but like I said, I'm running out of time. It will be all slow speed cruising with no highway driving. I'm mainly worried about safety not so much about what is technically correct for the application.
Will it work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I did exactly that on my 67. 73/4 Demon/ Duster fronts, and Lincoln Versailles rear disc. I removed the tubes at the master and punctured the rubber seals in the residual valves. "I got lucky." With this setup, and the tires I had, it (proportioning) is almost perfect. About all you can do is try it.

Mine "uses" about 1/2 the pedal travel or a little less on a VERY high foot pressure apply. Only real disadvantage in my case is you don't "get" the large master reservoir as you do with the stock front disc. Of course with rear disc you would want the same. So you'll have to check the fluid "more occasionally."

Mine has been apart for paint, so I can't advise you on longivity of fluid level.

Ok, weekend is over made it to the cruise/ show without issue.
I used the stock single line master cylinder from my 65 Dart with 4 wheel discs and no prop valve. it worked fine. The car stopped great, and the pedal pressure was ok, not great but not scary either.
I will be installing the correct m/c, prop valve and line lock very soon.

-
Back