Question About Door Striker Mounting in Door Jamb

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
So after my car was media blasted, we discovered something that seemed kind of odd. The point on the door jamb where the striker mounts appears to have a riveted plate that the strikers are screwed through and into the actual mount on the back of the jamb (behind where the quarter panel would be). I was curious if this is the way the cars were built or if this is the sign of a repair job? Both the passenger and driver side door jambs had this. The back side of the jamb also showed no signs of previous rust or anything else. I would appreciate some insight as to whether or not this is the way the door was made.

Here is what the striker side looks like on both doors.

Here is what the back side of the jamb looks like that would be inside the quarter panel.

No rivets. This area was prone to cracking, so fixes are common.

Is this a repair that will hold up? Body man at the shop that is working on my car suggested that the door jambs might have to be replaced, but I suppose the question is do I need to if the rest of the jamb is solid? Obviously the riveted plate is not noticeable once covered with primer and paint.

Cut a square out and weld in a new section. The cracking is usually just around the striker, it shouldn't be rusted away or anything of the sort that would compromise the whole door jam.

Post has rubber inside sort of like any other isolator. Wearing door hinges allow more and more hammering on the post. Rubber inside the post hardens with age. The sheet metal eventually fails/cracks. Aftermarket offers a repair kit and some of those did include rivets. I haven't seen those offered recently. Here's the thing though... The crack is always at top edge of the round footprint washer on the striker. The floating nut behind is a huge square block that is not coming out through a round hole.
So... with good renewed hinges, good strikers with rubber inside that isn't brick hard..
braze or weld the crack if you want, install a larger diameter footprint washer to the striker and its good to go for a very long time.
In your case, Now that the plate and rivets are there you could just leave as is. Of course attention to hinges and striker is still required.

-
Back