Question about plug indexing

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
OK, so I finally am getting around to indexing the pugs on the car.

But I have a question: When using index washers (I have the Moroso set of 30) should I use ONLY the index washers, and NOT the original crush washers for the plugs? Or should I use the original crush washers, and add the necessary index washer to that?

I have never heard of this until just recently. How much do you guys think you gain by it? Is it worth the trouble? Thanks

Considering it is only $15 for a set of washers, I think it's worth it.

Thanks for the info..I just wanted to make sure.

:thumbup: Electrode down...

moparandy said:
I have never heard of this until just recently. How much do you guys think you gain by it? Is it worth the trouble? Thanks

Nothing that you will ever be able to notice with the butt dyno. If you were racing and worrying about .01 seconds then of course you go after everything but for a basic street strip car I certainly wouldn't bother.

I have heard from some that it can noticeably improve idle quality, depending if your plugs are that far out of index to start with.

Here is some interesting reading. I've never noticed a difference, but I never made any specific back-to-back comparisons. My opinion is the same as Jacobs - It might help, and it certainly can't hurt! I index a new set when I feel ambitious. But I go through a couple of boxes to get the correct orientation instead of using washers.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/spark_plugs/s_plug _indexing.htm

He he he, I hear ya Loco, I hear ya. Me as well. Doc Jacobs has some book huh?

Hey Locomotion...weren't you just in a recent edition of Mopar magazine?? The car with the big Amsoil placard looks awfully familiar.

-
Back