Question about suspension

-

Baby huey

Reaction score
I have a 65 Cuda. To replace the front suspension, K frame and all (mine is damaged) and change to disc brakes, is there a direct replacement to do this or a crossover from another vehicle that will fit? I know I can get aftermarket parts, wondering what's out there that will work. Thanks

If you are swapping K frames, only 63-66 will interchange. Drag links come in 2 varieties for the early A - slant and V8. Upper control arms are identical 63-72 and use the small ball joint. 73-76 also fit and come mostly with the large ball joint although i have seen some slant 73-76s come with the small ball joint. 63-76 lower control arms are all the same with the exception of the sway bar tabs (if equipped with a sway bar). Sway bar families are 65/66, 66-72 and 73-76. Hope thus helos

Last edited:
I have a 65 Cuda. To replace the front suspension, K frame and all (mine is damaged) and change to disc brakes, is there a direct replacement to do this or a crossover from another vehicle that will fit? I know I can get aftermarket parts, wondering what's out there that will work. Thanks
If you're after factory stock parts, the '65-6 Kelsey Hayes brakes are a complete bolt-in with no mods except maybe the wheels. 13" ones won't work, but, some 14" ones will. It will depend on the year of the wheels and the width and offset they have. The '67-72 KH brakes will also bolt in and give you a dual hydraulic master cyl. The '73-6 factory discs have the 4 1/2" wheel stud pattern (instead of the factory 4" bolt pattern) and would need matching bolt pattern wheels and the upper control arms included in that swap. For K-member, use the '63-6 version as they're all the same regardless of engine size. The '65-6 ones have the sway bar holes drilled, but, you can drill the '64 and older K-member for the sway bar if you're going with a stock one. If you're not concerned about stock on the sway bar, get a Helwig setup. Using the '73-6 disc brakes may require you to swap the spindles from side to side to gain enough clearance to use a sway bar depending one which brand you use. In that case, you will have to get different brake hoses too as the stock ones won't reach where they attach to the frame rail. None of the steering linkage is needed to be changed with any of these setups. Aftermarket discs? There are many to choose from and you'll need to read about each one to see what else is needed to do the conversion. If you're going with a boosted system, choosing the right booster and brackets is important as there might be interference with the hood torsion bars with some of them on the '66 and older models.

Bill at RMS also makes a front and rear kit to completely upgrade.

I just swapped out my 9” front drum brakes with’73-76 A body disc . You will use the new lower ball joints , bolts spindles, calipers , hoses , rotors and upper control arms in the same orientation as they came off the car .
Of course a disc drum master cylinder and you will need the pushrod from the drum master cylinder and an adjustable proportioning valve .
Make new lines. Use a coupler to connect to the rear brakes from the proportioning valve near the 4 port tee . Connect the disc port on the m/c to the 4 port tee and plug the 4th port . This set up works for manual or power brakes .
Remember the disc port is the one closest to the firewall .

-
Back