Question - Casting Block Number

-
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1967 Dodge Dart GT convertible with a 273 V8 with 2bbl carb. I tried to find all the numbers on the engine, but due to the exhaust system on the passenger side and power steering unit could not find those numbers. However I was able to find the casting number on the driver side below the exhaust manifold. Had to use a small mirror but made out 2806030-273-3(or 9). I believe the first 7 numbers indicate it was cast in the 1966-1969 time frame, and the next 3 numbers indicate it is a 273 cu. in.. But I cannot find out what the last number stands for and cannot plainly make out if it is a 3 or a 9, maybe even an 8. Does anyone know what the last number indicates?

last number is the core revision or series. legend has it that the lower the number the "truer" the casting will be to its original design; but conversly, the later number could have included running revisions that were beneficial to the casting such as slightly thicker areas that were found to be prone to cracking, etc. Not worth worrying about.

last number is the core revision or series. legend has it that the lower the number the "truer" the casting will be to its original design; but conversly, the later number could have included running revisions that were beneficial to the casting such as slightly thicker areas that were found to be prone to cracking, etc. Not worth worrying about.
Thanks for the info. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I recently acquired a 1967 Dodge Dart GT convertible with a 273 V8 with 2bbl carb. I tried to find all the numbers on the engine, but due to the exhaust system on the passenger side and power steering unit could not find those numbers. However I was able to find the casting number on the driver side below the exhaust manifold. Had to use a small mirror but made out 2806030-273-3(or 9). I believe the first 7 numbers indicate it was cast in the 1966-1969 time frame, and the next 3 numbers indicate it is a 273 cu. in.. But I cannot find out what the last number stands for and cannot plainly make out if it is a 3 or a 9, maybe even an 8. Does anyone know what the last number indicates?

Here's some info on block markings:

How to ID a Small Block Engine Block:

-
Back