Question for members that were of age in '70

-
This is what the 50 of Hemi Darts looked like after being modified. I have not opened this box. The interior has 2 bucket type seats, like what would have been a Dodge van or the pick up beded van, can't remember the name, we called our parts truck Jiminy Cricket, cause it kinda looked like the Walt Disney cartoon character. The background if you look closely, are Darts sitting in a lot after modification. No window regulators, a seat belt was attached to the bottom of the window, you pulled the window up and attached the belt to the bottom of the door. Note that the rear wheel opening has been cut out to easily get slicks off and on.

20220924_214234.jpg

20220924_214241.jpg

20220924_214249.jpg

To me, The "A" in LB/RB is nose heavy and more suited to the strip.

340 cars were much better balanced IMO! That said, I never lost to my younger brothers 70 340HP on the strip!

As far as comfort goes the SB wins! Do the same on a road course and a 340 Stick wins the day! JMO!

The 1970 - 1971, 440 six pack cars were the most powerful of the big block cars. They did a lot of little things to make them last, and beat the emissions requirements, and guarantee them for 50,000 miles, too. 340 six pack cars had more power than 4 bbl. cars, but were only available in TA's and AAR's. A stroker 340 would have been the cat's ***, but it would have been fast enough to take away sales from the big block 440 cars [which were more profitable].

Insurance costs became a big deal back then. My 442 was listed as a V-8 Cutlass convertible. Insurance agents didn't have access to computers or vin number readouts back then. And a big jump in insurance premiums meant a lot when you were making $3 per hour. Then came the oil ''crisis''.

The competition was pretty stiff back then. GM cars with tri power, Buick GS 455's, Ford 427's and 428's, etc. etc.

$ 3. an hour was decent money in 1970. I think minimum wage was $ 1.65 in Cal.
My girl friend (now my wife) back in 69 drove a 68 Dart with a 273 a/t and would smoke the tires at will. That's what she was doing when I first saw her.
Been married 50 years now. She still has a heavy foot and drives with her left foot on the seat. Now has a 2019 Challenger.

20191102_083316.jpg

I loved the look of the TA's and AAR's, a good friend had a TA. On the street, they were dogs. The A 12's were not exactly fast on the street either, but I never ran across one that had headers or was modified in any way. I am not saying that they couldn't be fast, but not off the show room floor.

$ 3. an hour was decent money in 1970. I think minimum wage was $ 1.65 in Cal.
My girl friend (now my wife) back in 69 drove a 68 Dart with a 273 a/t and would smoke the tires at will. That's what she was doing when I first saw her.
Been married 50 years now. She still has a heavy foot and drives with her left foot on the seat. Now has a 2019 Challenger.

View attachment 1715990312

Lucky bastard

If u really want to know talk to Larry Shepherd. There was supposedly a few b engine dusters. Kim

We need a 'Doubt' button.

The Hemi A body Barracuda's wheel wells didn't get cut.

...and the Duster's would not need to be cut either.

-
Back