question for members who used MRL to rebuild a smallblock

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guy

I'm having Mike rebuild my 360 soon
as I'm getting stuff ready to haul it out to him I realized this will be a lot tougher to bring back since it will be a complete motor at that point
so my question is, how did you guys handle this?

I will either be using the wifeys acadia or haul it on a trailer behind the charger and it will be about a 2 hour drive

does Mike as a rule provide a crate or stand with his rebuilds?

I thought of bolting it onto a regular engine stand but I don't like the idea of how much it would bounce in the back of the car

any thoughts or suggestion?

(and I know I should ask Mike directly but hes on vacation and I don't want to disturb him)

I move my motors in the back of my PU with them sitting on an old tire. I just strap it down so it won't move.

would the milodon oil pan hold up to that?

I'm not too impressed with their quality

Ive used the tire method more than once as well. Mike seems very customer service oriented why not call him and ask him?

Just go to a used auto parts yard and pick up one of their engine pallets they use to sell and deliver used engines. Leave them a deposit and return it when your project is completed.

would the milodon oil pan hold up to that?

I'm not too impressed with their quality

We usually use a tire on our older engines.. for our race engines and new engines we use a 4 post bolt on low profile engine stand like this and strap it in the back of the truck.

Attachments

• P5153476.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 568
Ive used the tire method more than once as well. Mike seems very customer service oriented why not call him and ask him?

because he is on vacation and it don't want to bother him

Just go to a used auto parts yard and pick up one of their engine pallets they use to sell and deliver used engines. Leave them a deposit and return it when your project is completed.

this sounds like a great idea, I might give that a try

We usually use a tire on our older engines.. for our race engines and new engines we use a 4 post bolt on low profile engine stand like this and strap it in the back of the truck.

I was actually considering building something like this just for this single time use
but just maybe it is something Mike includes, that's why I was hoping to hear from some of his customers

The crate had to be returned because a separate packing company owned it but they returned the following day to retrieve it.

nice, that's the type of info I was looking for

a few differences, I will be picking up the motor myself so no freight and I don't think people will come by to pick up the crate (but who knows)

a second issue is again that oil pan, it kicks out wider making the "box" design impossible to use

The Milodon oilpan is pretty strong. Mine made a 3 hr trip to Brian at IMM, and a 3 hr trip back in the bed of my truck on a big tire and strapped at 4 points on the lift plate bolted where the carb goes. You should be fine.

You could always use taller wood for the sides to accomodate the oil pan...

the problem is that the oil pan flares out so to speak
in order for the whole box to rest on the oil pan rail I would need to cut openings in the two longer pieces to allow the pan to kick out AND I would have to build the box around the motor

which, come to think of it, might be the best way to go

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to trailer the duster out there and just have mike bolt it in instead? :cheers:

Which Milodon pan are we talking about here?

I'm sure Mike will have a solution for you when he gets back from vacation. I'm interested in what you are having done to your 360. I bought a 360 from Mike and am in the process of putting it in my car right now. Had mine delivered to OK on freight. Tell us about your 360!

I feel like I'm threadjacking my own thread, but here goes

it all started when my duster developed a knock

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAPH8xQPzCY&feature=youtu.be"]20150706 181443 - YouTube[/ame]

I posted a thread here to see what people thought might be causing it, hoping it wasn't a rod

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=319699

well, guess what?

yup, turned out I spun a rod bearing
(on a side note, I cleaned out my oil pan and found the rest of that bearing)

so then I started this thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=320354

Mikes name came up in that thread and since I'm only about 2 hours from shenanigans (or whatever the name of that city is) I decided to give him a call

this is the quote he send me

SCAT Hyper/cast stroker kit balanced internal

Timing tensioner

Main Studs

New Damper(for internal balance)

Gasket kit

Prime/paint

Bore/hone cylinder w/plate

Deck block

Main hone w/studs

Stage 2 head porting w/HP valve job

Block oiling mods, de-burring, cleaning

Assembly

$3500

Add $525 for dyno with oil, filter fuel

Add $450 Proform 750 carb w/Russell fuel line

Add $50 for dist recurve if needed

Add $160 for 2.02/1.60 HP valves and lock kit

so as soon as he gets back from vacation I'm planning on dropping it of there and hopefully I still get to drive the duster before winter is upon us again

Mike may try talking you into going with a Kevco pan instead. He's a big believer in them and (if I recall correctly) said about a 10 horse gain over the Milodon. I'd never heard of a power gain with a pan before but he claimed their setup is uber-efficient at controlling windage. He may even be able to get you a price break on one if you do change.

I feel like I'm threadjacking my own thread, but here goes

it all started when my duster developed a knock

At least you didn't get to experience the BIG BANG and have to dodge flying parts. Glad you caught it in time.

Mike may try talking you into going with a Kevco pan instead. He's a big believer in them and (if I recall correctly) said about a 10 horse gain over the Milodon. I'd never heard of a power gain with a pan before but he claimed their setup is uber-efficient at controlling windage. He may even be able to get you a price break on one if you do change.

that's a pretty impressive gain, just on windage?

still, in order for me to choose a new pan over one I already paid for it would have to be a killer deal :evil3:

At least you didn't get to experience the BIG BANG and have to dodge flying parts. Glad you caught it in time.

yeah...I was "lucky" to recognize the sound and let off the hammer in time :banghead:

-
Back